Delaware beaches

flyguy784

Elite Member
When it gets a little warmer, like in the 30's. We are considering heading to Delaware beach area, coin beach, Indian River Inlet area. I know it used to produce older coinage, heard stories from the past. Not lookin to load a bucket but does anyone hit that area and still find older coins. I'd have to believe with all the wrecks right there, something turns up now and then. We really don't do any beach hunting but our soil is frozen solid. Any ideas???

Hit it

Several times, a waste of time, beach is mainly used for fishing now, with a state permit . Md beaches are re replenished, when the summer season rolls around, it will start producing again, when the depositors hit , and or vacationer's.

I've been there a couple times, these pics are dated Sept 10 2010 so it must had been after a hurricane. Just looked it up, Hurricane Earl..:facepalm:

King George II Irish halfpenny that was countermarked K, it was the crusty copper coin on the paper plate, top left of the silver ring. That big copper stone looking thing in the picture in the right hand corner was copper which was to be used as coins someday but never made it to it's destination. I was told more then likely it was in a big barrel during shipping but was lost when the ship sank. And I believe the fork to had been silver, what was left of it...

Then the second a small gold nugget. If i had a chance to go there I would hit coin beach and the beach on the other side of the bridge. You never know until you go, if it is good or bad. Silver dime is for sizing....

Attachments

• CB Sept 2010src.jpg
    CB Sept 2010src.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • shipwreck coin.jpg
    shipwreck coin.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 884
  • CB Sept 2010.jpg
    CB Sept 2010.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 869
As you can see from obns photos there are treasures to find. Hit the low spots and erosion.. never know until give it a go.

Jeez, a little dismal isn't it? Going stir crazy, being cooped up in single digit temps. I GOTTA GET OUT!
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure it's worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to get there. I've spent a good bit of time in the area, over the last 50 years fishing Striped Bass mainly. I remember hearing that when they dredged out Roosevelt inlet, up in Lewes, they started finding colonial bottles and other relics in the dredge spoils.
Thanks again. Much to consider.

Jeez, a little dismal isn't it? Going stir crazy, being cooped up in single digit temps. I GOTTA GET OUT!
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure it's worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to get there. I've spent a good bit of time in the area, over the last 50 years fishing Striped Bass mainly. I remember hearing that when they dredged out Roosevelt inlet, up in Lewes, they started finding colonial bottles and other relics in the dredge spoils.
Thanks again. Much to consider.

If it were me 2 1/2 hours just to get out..Go..
Hint, and I know every thing is frozen in Del, Pa, Jersey..and Maryland inland but Do some research. Any where there was water people would go there during the summer. Rivers, lakes, etc. I did a road trip up to near Phil 3 weeks ago and we came home with two nice gold rings, both dated early 1900's.

It

Might have been the same storm Joe, i found a navigational device from the 1800s- encrusted with the prong's exposed that i found on that beach, i took it up to Dale, who is the owner of the museum in Fenwick Island , i asked him if he could clean it through electrolysis, or xray it, he said he wouldn't be able to till December, i said i won't be coming back down here till next summer, than i asked him if he was interested in a trade, he said ok, he took me back through the glass enclosed door, let me see in my hand one of those gold G s from the wreck , and had about 10 George the 2nd coins soaking, i had to pick from, i chose this one , true story, correction the pick was taken in 2012 , the coin was from Florida were he dives on the wrecks , Earl 1747 King George the 2nd

Attachments

• Cell Phone Picks 112.jpg
    Cell Phone Picks 112.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 727
Well thanks for all the input. It would appear I'll have a bit of a reprieve this week. Temps steadily coming up. In the 50's Friday. My area should be digable.

Back
Top Bottom