Spell check police??

You forgot a comma. Your sentence should read:

If they are not corrected, then how will they learn?

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_sentence

*laughs*

Hopefully, this gets the point across to everyone reading. Did I just add value to the conversation by pointing out a missing comma? <insert expletive>, no.

Are you likely to forget a comma in a conditional sentence in the future.<repeat expletive>, yes!

The world is not a better place because of someone pointing out the missing comma.

*laughs*

Sometimes the lowly comma matters!

Let's eat Grandpa!

Vs

Let's eat, Grandpa!

In the first one, Grandpa is dinner. In the second, Grandpa gets fed.

:laughing:

Hey, this is just my personal opinion, but as long as I can understand what someone is trying to say it is not a big deal to me if the spelling is perfect, after all this is not the "Friendly Spelling and Grammar Forum" :lol:

Having said that I do try to catch the typos I make from simply hitting the wrong key by mistake, and there are times when I need to spell a word I seldom use and I am not sure of the spelling, one trick I used is to type how I think the word is spelled into an online search engine and if the spelling is wrong the search engine will say something like "did you mean...." with the correct spelling.

Here is an interesting quote I found doing an online search, see if you can read it :lol:

(start of quote)

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

(end of quote)

Hey, this is just my personal opinion, but as long as I can understand what someone is trying to say it is not a big deal to me if the spelling is perfect, after all this is not the "Friendly Spelling and Grammar Forum" :lol:

Having said that I do try to catch the typos I make from simply hitting the wrong key by mistake, and there are times when I need to spell a word I seldom use and I am not sure of the spelling, one trick I used is to type how I think the word is spelled into an online search engine and if the spelling is wrong the search engine will say something like "did you mean...." with the correct spelling.

Here is an interesting quote I found doing an online search, see if you can read it :lol:

(start of quote)

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

(end of quote)

Love the quote. I once knew a guy in W.VA. who kinda spoke like that.

Though the dog has spelling problems he's getting his message across.:laughing:

Attachments

• Image (34).jpg
    Image (34).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 134
I don't think it is very nice to call out someone who makes spelling mistakes, some folks may have trouble in that area. So, if someone takes the time to take pic's of their finds so we all can see them congrat's to them if nothing else. But to just post on their thread that the spelling is wrong may hurt feeling's. Just saying.:roll:

Agreed. There are times, though, when these corrections are used to counteract rudeness or bragging. Lame, if that's all ya got, but acceptable.
Another case could be made for politely correcting spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. for clarity's sake. Proper communication, emphasis, articulation, etc. are the reasons we have spelling, grammar, and punctuation rules. Don't want to follow the rules? That's ok, if you can make it work and nobody gets hurt. Just don't complain about these rules when you find yourself in a 5150 psychiatric lockdown situation for conspiring to cannibalize your grandparent!

You should see my two aunts trying not to cringe when we're talking. They have doctorates in english and I'm half redneck.

I saw someone mention spelling phonetically, but there is a problem with that. Forum members who don't speak English as their first language sometimes have difficulty with posts done that way.

One mailing list I was on several years ago had a brief appearance by someone who spelled that way on purpose (he thought he was being efficient), and it was a forum with at least 20% of the members not being native English speakers. He was quickly chased off.

If you see me correct someone a lot, it's because they've said something inflammatory and spelled words wrong at the same time, so that correcting their spelling is just a way to poke them with a sharp stick for a bit.

-- Tom

As a former English teacher, I can truly appreciate the compulsion to correct someone's writing errors; however, I treat my editing skills like I treat my guns--I would only point them at someone when I fully intend to inflict damage.

Here in Louisiana, we take our grammar like we do everything else--a little on the spicy side, so long as it gets the job done...with a beer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Seen [or saw?] a billboard for Aux Arcs realtors... thought ox ark was a strange name for a company. Turns out I live in the Aux Arcs. Here in the Ozark Mountains enough people spelled it wrong they just changed it.

When using "now" as a conjuction, and when "used when you are saying that something happens as a result of something else," you should use a comma.

See item#4: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/british/now

This got old. Why? I perfectly understood you, both times, without needing to correct anything.

Cheers!

Skippy

Lol. I guess my sarcasm was lost over translation to written format. Still seems I should hire you for some lessons, as they seem much needed for me.

I don't think it is very nice to call out someone who makes spelling mistakes, some folks may have trouble in that area. So, if someone takes the time to take pic's of their finds so we all can see them congrat's to them if nothing else. But to just post on their thread that the spelling is wrong may hurt feeling's. Just saying.:roll:

I agree 100%. At one time I had trouble spelling and pronouncing words. I daydreamed through jr high and high school. I graduated from a top Engineering college in Atlanta and still had problems.

But the Internet (not people taught me to spell correctly, thanks to spell check).

but being from the South I think it is bad manners to point out spelling and grammar errors. Some people just don't self-edit their posts. When I make a post I will almost always do a slow edit check and ALWAYS find spelling and/or grammar errors. This is a friendly forum and we should not get uptight over minor stuff. Save the uptight feelings for detector comparisons.

(start of quote)

(end of quote)

Lol I will misspell a word hear and there, and absolutely will miss some commas. My biggest problem is country talk. Where at is always pronounced as "wurr" at. Welcome to the Southern Appalachians.

My first business trip to Milwaukee was interesting. As soon as I stepped off of the plain I hear.......Where exactly are you from? :lol::lol:

I agree 100%. At one time I had trouble spelling and pronouncing words. I daydreamed through jr high and high school. I graduated from a top Engineering college in Atlanta and still had problems.

But the Internet (not people taught me to spell correctly, thanks to spell check).

but being from the South I think it is bad manners to point out spelling and grammar errors. Some people just don't self-edit their posts. When I make a post I will almost always do a slow edit check and ALWAYS find spelling and/or grammar errors. This is a friendly forum and we should not get uptight over minor stuff. Save the uptight feelings for detector comparisons.

Love the quote. I once knew a guy in W.VA. who kinda spoke like that.

Lol I will misspell a word hear and there, and absolutely will miss some commas. My biggest problem is country talk. Where at is always pronounced as "wurr" at. Welcome to the Southern Appalachians.

My first business trip to Milwaukee was interesting. As soon as I stepped off of the plain I hear.......Where exactly are you from? :lol::lol:

I have the same problem but in reverse, my wife and I moved to South Carolina over 12 years ago and as much as I tried to pick up the way of speaking down here I still occasionally will be asked "you're not from around here are you ?" :lol:

Soon after first moving here one of the first times I was in the local grocery store waiting in line with my shopping cart to check out I didn't notice the line had moved up and the cashier lady said to me (in a nice tone) "you wanna move your buggy up here" it took me a minute to realize she meant my shopping cart and not my backside :laughing::laughing::laughing:

(I learned fast they call a shopping cart a "buggy" y'all :lol:)

(start of quote)

(end of quote)

+1 :oldguy:
If you know what they meant, the idea has been communicated.
Let's all be gracious to those who have difficulty with spelling... This is the "Friendly Forum", so let's be friends here. :welcome2::my2cents::okay:

I have the same problem but in reverse, my wife and I moved to South Carolina over 12 years ago and as much as I tried to pick up the way of speaking down here I still occasionally will be asked "you're not from around here are you ?" :lol:

Soon after first moving here one of the first times I was in the local grocery store waiting in line with my shopping cart to check out I didn't notice the line had moved up and the cashier lady said to me (in a nice tone) "you wanna move your buggy up here" it took me a minute to realize she meant my shopping cart and not my backside :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:lol::lol::lol: GKL and every carbonated drink shall be referred to as a "coke"!! We also are guilty of going fishin. Lol goodness the more I think about it, I seriously kill the language in how I say things.

LOL It's a part of me, and who I am. I have never let it bother me.

I been here since 1965 and I still on occasion get that "You aint from around here are you?. Of course in the Charleston area if you are not a SOB you are still a tourist. After all these years I am still from OFF. Not exactly sure where OFF is located. For the Uninformed a SOB is someone who was born and have lived their entire live South Of Broad Street in Charleston.

Back
Top Bottom