MXT users--need help!

firewxman

Forum Supporter
Hi all

Here's my question. For those using MXT's, does the VDI jump all over the place on deep coins...or do you get a "solid" (> than 5 inches) VDI number with deep coins? I was out hunting with NebTRAC this weekend...he was finding deep coins left and right with his E-Trac...before he would dig his target he would allow me to check the target with my detector...well all of his sucessful coin targets would come up with varying VDI's with my machine...however when I would find a "target" that would show a solid coin target with my MXT...he would check it out and say...its probably not worth digging...after I would dig...he was right it wasn't a coin! What am I doing wrong...is there an issue with my MXT...it does real well with shallow coins. The area was a park...so it was high trash...I was using the 10" DD EXcelerator coil.

Thanks in advance for any info!

I have tons of experience with both machines. The answer to your first question is: yes. The VDI will jump around with a 10" eXcelerator coil and deep coins. If you are looking for more depth, you should think about investing in a 10x12 SEF.

Secondly, you shouldn't pit an MXT against an E-TRAC. I've clean out a park with my MXT, bought an E-TRAC, then cleaned it out again. They are two very different machines. The E-TRAC is a coin magnet like no other.

Good luck to you.

-Mark

Also note that you'll always get a little more depth and clarity from coin targets when the ground gets nice and wet. That's my favorite time to hunt. I always pick up deep targets with both the MXT and the E-TRAC after a good rain.

That's more a tip than a response.

MXT is smarter than the average human...

My apologies...my intentions were not to pit the MXT vs. E-Trac...instead I was concerned with the overall "health" of my machine. To be honest...I was picking up targets at depths of 10", but the VDI's were all over the place. For instance, a target at 7" would show up from strongly negative VDI's to strongly positive as I swept over the area. It was difficult to discearn what was trash and what was worth the dig. I guess if its deep...then dig until I learn my machine better.

Cheers

I must say...I did find a nice 1911 wheatie at about 7" during the hunt. Unfortunately...I passed up a 1865 Indian about two feet away! Oh well get em next time!

If you haven't already, I suggest reading "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster. After I read that book, I started finding older and deeper coins. There are little tricks he talks about that makes the MXT a deep and formidable MD.

Thanks for the advice...I do have the book...but I have not read the material as I should have! :no: I guess I have been so eager to find deep targets...I didn't take the time to learn the machine as I should have.

Winter is coming soon...time to hit the books!

Im new with the MXT my self but one ponit I picked up on that seems to work for me is pin pointing early to find the true position of your target then use the readings you get from that true position.

At 7" I suposse in dirty ground that would be normal. Here in southwest Kansas our soil is pretty mild so at 7" my MXT VDI is still pretty solid. I get to the extreme limits of my MXT and things do get jumpy. Those extreme limits would vary depending on your ground conditions.

Back
Top Bottom