Silver .... and marbles from base housing!

jbkelly3

Elite Member
Today found me again over in the former base housing area, working my "claim" to see what would turn up this time. Along with the usual overload of beer caps I managed to pull about 20 cents in clad (1 dime, rest 1 Lincolns) another wheat, and my first jewelry! Bonus was surface find of 6 separate marbles! The ring is marked Sterling, and the stones appear to be quiet nice sapphires and tiny diamonds. I'll try and get a better pic when the ring is cleaned up!! Not bad for 35 minutes at lunch!

Attachments

• Silver and marbles.jpg
    Silver and marbles.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 432
Update on new thread!

Folks follow my new thread to see what showed up this trip!!

Finding marbles ...

How are you finding marbles? Do the marbles have a metal core? Can someone explain?:?:

As noted by one other user these were surface (visible) finds. Just a tiny bit of each was above the dirt ... and I always watch for marbles. My great grandmother had a huge jar of them in her kitchen .. and as a kid I would always note she would add one or two when she found one. As I grew, she became aware of my own collection of both the marbles I would find and my coin collecting hobby. Around age 18 or so she started telling me to make sure I got that jar when she was gone, and she made sure to tell her two daughters the same more than a few times. When the time came for me to get the jar, I noticed a crack in it, and was moving the marbles to a new (identical) jar .... and inside I find a tiny folded up scrap of paper ... with two coins inside. The two were the 1865 two and three cents coins that some relative "relived" a solider of when tried to help himself to one of the girls on the farm instead of the meat that he had been ordered to obtain. They are tucked away in my safe and every time I see a marble it reminds me again of that dear sweet lady.

Back
Top Bottom