Another forgotten town...*Updated 4/23*

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Over the winter, I researched the old local county maps and some history books and found an old forgotten town that was platted in 1892 that’s currently just a farmer’s field. At the height of the town’s existence, it had a rail depot, church, school, post office, telegraph office, grocery, lodge hall, and an industrial company, as well as residential homes. When I talked to the property owner for permission, he said many of the buildings were still standing into the 1950s, but “that’s when my grand-dad watched the tornado go through”! Sure enough, aerial images show buildings on the site in the 1950s, but in the 1960s they’re all gone.

Fellow forum member Dan B. was kind enough to invite me out to a similar “ghost” town that he had researched a few weeks ago (see this thread), so this was the perfect opportunity for me to return the favor - I invited him to join me on the site, and he and I met on Thursday morning to hunt the site for the first time. I was pretty excited about the location, and I was admittedly pleased to hear Dan wasn’t aware of the spot despite his extensive knowledge of the area. When we arrived, the evidence of previous habitation was obvious to a detectorist’s eye - old brick, broken porcelain and china, old colored glass and broken bottle tops carpeted the surface of the field. In fact, through the day I had several eyeball finds like a porcelain button, clay tobacco pipe stems, an intact fancy bottle stopper made of glass, etc.

My very first signal on starting to hunt turned out to be an 1892 Indian Head only about 2” down, matching the date the town was platted! Dan was the big winner on the hunt though - he pulled a nice brass lock out of the ground, his first. Then not even 15-20 minutes later, I hear him exclaim “it’s another one!” Sure enough, an even nicer brass lock! As Dan said - all we need to do now is find the cash box they were holding shut! :lol: A little later, he made the find of the day - a late 1700s Spanish copper 4 maravedis coin! Check out the photos and ID in this thread. Neither one of us knew for sure what it was when we pulled it out of the hole (only a couple inches down, too), but we both knew it was good :wow:

I ended up with 3 Indians total, all pretty toasty: 1892, 1895, & 1899. The Winchester 10 gauge Rival headstamp was only manufactured between 1894-1897, so it fits nicely into the town’s range. The 1” diameter solid brass ball is a bit of a mystery - I’m guessing a ball bearing for either railroad or industrial machinery? Another mystery item is the small, circular, coin shaped object marked with a C and G and what looks like a crescent moon along the edge. Some other interesting keepers from a pouch full of relics is part of a cooper spoon or fork, a flat button, bullet casings, and maybe a piece to a pocket knife.

Overall a very fun hunt, although definitely a challenge among all the trash from the long gone buildings. No silver yet, but 18th century Spanish cooper makes up for that quite nicely! Plus we have a long way to go - I’d be surprised if we covered even 5% of the town’s area. And it’s a little bit of a race against time - the farmer will be itching to plant soon with the weather warming up, and then we’ll be stuck waiting for fall. We’ll be back to hit the field again tomorrow morning - can’t wait to see what else is waiting for us! Although I told Dan he’s only allowed to bring his pinpointer (without batteries) and a plastic kid’s sand shovel to my permissions from now on! :laughing: :laughing: ;)

Attachments

• AEF6D0BC-55C1-4D20-A271-49DA8E5677D2.jpg
    AEF6D0BC-55C1-4D20-A271-49DA8E5677D2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 810
  • 773F7203-4A27-4D2B-BE25-BCBD1B52D18D.jpg
    773F7203-4A27-4D2B-BE25-BCBD1B52D18D.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 762
  • 7D8A25BB-C452-4A33-83EA-367CF66BA85A.jpg
    7D8A25BB-C452-4A33-83EA-367CF66BA85A.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 775
  • DF04A669-D2A1-4BC9-B722-5774ADB6E442.jpg
    DF04A669-D2A1-4BC9-B722-5774ADB6E442.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
Sounds and looks like a great area!!!! I would def. be hitting it up again. Good Luck!!!! Also, great job on the research!!!

Looks like you're on a nice spot for sure! Congrats on the nice assortment of keepers. I love the Injuns, but I think I'd have traded for even one of those locks! GL on upcoming visits and keep us posted. :aok:

Yes it was very enjoyable time with lots of opportunity. Ready to hit it again before the crops go in. I have my shovel and bucket ready.:laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_20180407_205154.jpg
    IMG_20180407_205154.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 708
Excellent research, and congrats on the keepers. I would definitely get back there!

Wow , Just the anticipation of hunting that area must be overwhelming . Stuff already in the ground is one thing but between that storm and the plow you guys are going to have a puzzle to put togeather.
How fun that will be !!!! 👍
Congradulations,

Really nice job on the research. Awesome when you can find a place that everyone has dismissed and still get some nice finds and save some of the history of it. :yes:

Sounds and looks like a great area!!!! I would def. be hitting it up again. Good Luck!!!! Also, great job on the research!!!

Thanks wvdave! It's definitely an interesting site - you can almost spend a couple days just eyeballing interesting stuff on the surface! I've been out there 2 more times for a couple hours each, and still feel like I'm only just getting started!

Looks like you're on a nice spot for sure! Congrats on the nice assortment of keepers. I love the Injuns, but I think I'd have traded for even one of those locks! GL on upcoming visits and keep us posted. :aok:

Great story and I love those locks!

Thanks Oldsjunkie and Perquimans! The locks are definitely pretty sweet - I probably would have traded everything in my pouch for just one, including the Injuns! Dan's Ace is apparently a lock magnet - he got the face plate for a third lock when we went out again on Sunday morning!

The ball could be a milling ball.

Good suggestion, Wom...hadn't thought of that. The only known industry in the town was a stave company - I don't know enough about that industry to say whether they'd use ball grinding or not. Certainly someone else could have if it wasn't the stave company. Interesting possibilities!

Wow, you found a great spot to hunt and got some great finds!

Excellent research, and congrats on the keepers. I would definitely get back there!

Thanks NCtoad and rustyk1! I've gotten back there a couple times for a pair of short hunts - trying to get as much time in as possible before the farmer goes to work!

What a great permission AT!!! Really enjoyed your story....good luck when ya go back and please keep us posted......

Thanks Lawnwalker! I'll be posting a few more finds from Sunday and today (Monday) soon. Hopefully I can get out there again later in the week - the weather will finally be warming up this week, so it's only a matter of time before the farmer hits that field - all this cold weather already has them weeks behind schedule, I think.

Nice finds! Gotta love those old farm field sites!

They're definitely fun - potential targets everywhere, so it takes some patience to wade through all of the iron and debris, but well worth it!

Excellent digs, congrats!

Sounds like an awesome spot, WTG on the research and the finds!

Thanks cellr and zeemang!

Wow , Just the anticipation of hunting that area must be overwhelming . Stuff already in the ground is one thing but between that storm and the plow you guys are going to have a puzzle to put togeather.
How fun that will be !!!! 👍
Congradulations,

It's been a blast - you just never know what'll come out next! And you're right, there are so many X factors! Details about the town are extremely sketchy - I haven't been able to find any info about which lots contained the post office, lodge, or any of the other buildings, so it'll be interesting to see if the finds might start to shed some light on those details. But yeah, add in the plow dragging and smearing stuff across the field and a tornado scattering things literally to the four winds, it'll be an impossible puzzle to completely figure out - but, boy, it'll be fun trying!

Really nice job on the research. Awesome when you can find a place that everyone has dismissed and still get some nice finds and save some of the history of it. :yes:

Thanks Caribbeanson! That's the real fun for me - rediscovering items used/lost by people who lived in a little town that might otherwise become completely forgotten and imagining what it was like living there.

very nice finds and history to go along with it

Thanks!!

Hope you get back to that permission soon. That place has all kinds of potential for some really great finds. Congrats on your Indians.

I have found brass balls like that in one (and only one) site in the 30 years I've been in the metal detecting hobby. It was the site of a civil war gun powder mill. I found several in different sizes. So I'd bet what you found was a milling ball, probably for something that required a non-spark environment - like gun powder!

Day 2, Sunday finds

I got back out to the site on Sunday morning for a couple of hours, and Dan B. was able to meet me out there again too. I had to work in the afternoon, so hunting time was limited - in fact, in the rush to get out the door and maximize my time on the site, I went flying out of the house without my finds pouch which was sitting neatly on my workbench in the garage where I left it after dumping out my previous finds! I improvised by emptying out my backback and strapping it on to create a ginormous and unwieldy finds pack - slowed me down a bit, but it was better than driving home or trying to stuff everything into my pockets :roll:

First find was with my Mark I Eyeballs - a leg broken off of some sort of figurine. My oldest daughter was extremely disturbed the leg - she wouldn't go near it. My youngest wanted to bring it to school for show and tell! I suspect I know which one might turn out to be my budding detectorist... :lol: :lol:

Then it was one shotshell headstamp after another all in a relatively small area - I felt like I had found an armory! I'm still getting used to my new detector, but after Sunday I guarantee you that I can predict a headstamp on this site with a extremely high certainty before the shovel hits the dirt! I love headstamps though, because the older ones can be researched and often you can get a pretty accurate date range. All of these date to either the 1890s or the first decade of the 1900s, so it fits right into the period of the town's high point! I really like the Robin Hood Powder Co headstamp - I never found that variety before. I've found conflicting dates in the late 1800s for when the company formed, but they were bought out by Remington in 1916. The interesting thing is that they changed their name from Robin Hood Powder Co to Robin Hood Ammunition Co in 1906. It's hard to see in the photos, but the headstamp reads "R. H. P. Co" around the bottom, so it's likely that this one is pre-1906 :cool:

After the headstamps, I nabbed another IHP, this one from 1898. Other notables are a buckle and what looks like a rosette from a horse bridle or other tack?

Dan B. bested me again in terms of coins - he pulled in a pair of IHPs also, and a few interesting relics including the faceplate off yet another lock! All in all, another fun hunt, and great company having Dan along!

Attachments

• 6393DDF0-8282-4BF6-9225-D8634632F545.jpg
    6393DDF0-8282-4BF6-9225-D8634632F545.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 261AA65F-12BB-453C-8798-9F91AC5FC448.jpg
    261AA65F-12BB-453C-8798-9F91AC5FC448.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 335
  • A236518C-B63B-4AB2-B7B1-31A452C772AA.jpg
    A236518C-B63B-4AB2-B7B1-31A452C772AA.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Ahhhh....forgot that I had a field shot for the 1898 Indian! Here it is exactly as it popped up as I turned the plug! Stood right up out of the dirt on it's own :D

Attachments

• Injun1.jpg
    Injun1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Injun2.jpg
    Injun2.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 330
Back
Top Bottom