Removing tarnish from this pin...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
I dug this up today and I am 95% sure it is silver even though I cannot find a marking. I small portion of it was shiny when I dug it. It is about 2 1/2" long and weighs in at 6.5 grams. After using baking sode and rubbing it in with my fingers it started getting more silver in color. Anyone have an easy way to remove the tarnish?

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpg
    IMG_5416.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 376
Thanks Digger. I tried that method, did not work. Just tried scrubbing harder with baking soda paste. Made it a little cleaner but I broke the pin in the process...:(

It came in at 12-43 on the Etrac which is a copper penny signal. I have had silver there before. Using my fingers and baking soda paste has made it much cleaner. It just doesn't get into the crevices.

My silver bird pin is just like that. I think its super old like mine too. If you already broke the pin and surefire way to remove it is tumbling.

Not sure why you would want to remove the dark color. Just cleaning the green is what I would do, and soaking in lemon juice with a little brushing will do that.

Back
Top Bottom