I Can't Believe This!

jswindle2

Being a relative newcomer to detecting, I try to detect in my folks yard to get practice. Yesterday,I got a hit that I figured was a zinc penny. When I flipped the plug I eyeballed four pennies. Cool right! Then I pushed my pointer in the hole and it screamed all around. Make a long story short,I came up with 21 pennies:shock: before I was worn out(I'd already been digging for 3 hours).I filled the hole,but I'm still getting a hit in the general area. I going back today to see what I come up with and I'm pretty excited! I haven't cleaned the coins so I'm unsure of what they are beside Memorial Lincolns. Since the house was built in the late sixties,I doubt there is anything amazing. I've never hit on a spill like this in my short detecting history. What is the most others have dug up in one hole?

Nice spill. The most pennies I found in one spill was 80 something...not a wheat in the bunch, LOL. Best silver spill was 5 Silver Dimes (4 Rosies and a Merc plus a Steel 43 Wheat).

I found 42 memorials in a neighbors yard. The spill that still baffles me is the 22 wheat pennies I found ON THE SURFACE next to the basketball court at the local park! :shock:

What a bodacious find. Most pennies were 8 memorials. Most clad was 4 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickel in a hole. Most silver was 1 in a hole.

Most pennies was 35 Memorials and most quarters was 9....but all clad. My hunt partner, Sue, once found 2 presidential Dollar coins in the same hole.

I asked that very question once thinking 12 coins in one hole was a lot. Wait till you see the answers you get !!

Well,I went back today and dug 5 more Lincolns. So the total ended up as 26(that is correct right,math was never my strong point). I just finished cleaning them and the newest is 1992 and oldest 1959. They are overwhelmingly copper,so that's a plus but after detecting almost everyday for a month, I still have not found a single silver coin! I've dug 2 1965 quarters but no go.:no: I'm going to detect an old homestead in the next couple days so I think that's may to change. Wish me luck and good luck to ya'll.

That's a fair amount of coins! I haven't found any particularly large coin spills. Most of the ones I find are only of 3-5 coins. Nothing as great as your coin spill!

My largest spill was 39 buffalo nickels in about 7' of water at a marina. I think a roll fell off the back of a boat a long long time ago. They were all in one pile under the sand.

The Giving Tree

I found a huge clad pile in a wooded local park underneath the remains of an old tree house. Been there a few times and so far I've got a half dollar, 11 quarters, 17 dimes and over 300 pennies. All are from the 70s and 80s, probably some kids life savings from back in the day. Oddly enough not a single nickel has been found. Even now there are still a few coins left out there but digging zincolns gets boring quick. HH!

Last edited:
I asked that very question once thinking 12 coins in one hole was a lot. Wait till you see the answers you get !!

I got outside a bedroom window of a house from the 1950's, I was picking coins up off the ground, and digging them up to 6 inches deep there. I got over 100+ pennies from that spot.

The only thing I can think of is someone sat on the porch and always threw their pennies off to the side?

Or, a piggy back was dropped out of the window? Who knows.....lol

Found about 50-60 coins in about a 5 foot circle one time. All on the surface, all clad, mostly zincs with a few nics and dimes in there. Don't think I had a buck in a half total. Just sweeped the PP through the grass and kept picking them up.

I got outside a bedroom window of a house from the 1950's, I was picking coins up off the ground, and digging them up to 6 inches deep there. I got over 100+ pennies from that spot.

The only thing I can think of is someone sat on the porch and always threw their pennies off to the side?

Or, a piggy back was dropped out of the window? Who knows.....lol

That's awesome! My house was built in the 50's and I found 33 pennies directly under one of my bedroom windows also. Most from the 60's and 70's. Wonder if their is a story behind people tossing pennies out the window we are unaware of!?!?!

I found a massive clad dump consisting of mainly pennies in a parking lot one early morning...I think somebody just dumped out their ashtray or change cup on purpose...That was some easy money there!

I once found 47 pennies and a dime in a local park. later I got to thinking that someone must have lost a roll of pennies. I went back and ended up finding the other three. Not like the roll of Mercuries that a friend found behind an old restaurant. Once in our old club we decided to have a hunt in a park in a nearby town. A lady in the club decided to test her detector before the hunt. She walked a few feet from the shelter we were using and got a reading and found a penny. We noticed that she had sat down and continues to dig more pennies. She got tired of digging them and some of the other members started detecting there. In all they found over three hundred pennies in about a ten foot square area. We had no idea of how they got there. It was by pure chance that we had picked that shelter to have a hunt.

Back
Top Bottom