Tips on getting older

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
Here's some things we have learned in old age to help us through :

Pill bottles - forget those twist off caps - have the pharmacist put on pop off caps. So much easier on hurting hands.

Gardening - we do a lot, those hoses are heavy to lug around. Get a "flex hose" instead, lots lighter. Also called "pocket hose".

Detecting - take a pain pill before starting.

Get a good jar opener for tough lids/caps. Same thing for electric can openers.

How about some of your ideas to share ?
Steve in so la

Instead of toilet paper, use those blue shop paper towels, like from the gas station by the squeegee, rinse and hang dry...also great for coffee filters, just be aware of the proper sequence...

Take advantage of Senior Discounts everywhere!...buy loose fitting khakis from Goodwill for a dollar, and some suspenders...

Wear A cool Veterans hat, Like from the Hornet or something even if you never served, if somebody asks, just say "I dont want to talk about it"..

Even if you can hear just fine, pretend that you cant....

Minimize all effort! Maximize time! For this you will need a Handicap Parking emblem hangar...no biggy, just say you have a bum hip...(limp for effect)..

Get up Super Early and watch the Weather Channel, then log onto www.Spaceweather.com to see if theres an incoming CME Carrington Event...Then, if all if favorable, Check out the Precious Metals market Spot Values...Plan the rest of your day around these sources....

Lighten up your junk, rotate your gear...when you buy something new, Keep all receipts and return for refund after usage...

If you like to give others advice, go hang out at Home Depot...

To keep your eyes sharp, get a pellet rifle and kill chipmunks (Mini Bears)...Of course, keep the receipt as noted above...

For evening entertainment, go sit in a Hospital Emergency Entrance Lounge...

Theres all sorts of stuff to do to keep busy!:laughing:

Last edited:
Invest in a good pair of knee pads, or buy tactical pants that you can insert knee pads into the knee pockets.

Use a shovel no shorter than waist level to reduce bending over, and with a T or D handle for better control. Use said shovel to aid getting up!

Cut the tabs off of the gasoline can twist caps , also the same for a lot of products like mouthwash bottles . Take into consideration if you have rug rats around . ,,,,.HH

I ride motorcycles, just bought a new 650 dual sport 2 weeks ago. Wife likes the Harley with the chase lounge seat on the back. Shop at thrift stores, if I can get in it, it fits. Metal detecting for exercise. I try to stay active. Dr. told me 40+ years ago to drink a beer a day, so no kidney problems since. I did have to stop running after women, but I can still strike a fast walk :laughing: :laughing:. joe

Get a nice little dog...People are more apt to think you are a good guy if you have a nice little dog...let him sleep with you, feed him table scraps, make him wear a cute little bandana, take him everywhere...(chick magnet)...

Drink a full glass of water and take a baby aspirin right before you got to bed at 8pm...wake up at 3am, go out on the back deck and look up at the stars, take a nice long squirt, and let the dog out to do likewise...put on a pot of coffee, and log into the Forum...

Try to cheer people up...Try to make a stranger laugh daily...

Hold open doors for people...pick up litter, dont be in a hurry..make up a nickname for yourself and introduce yourself as such...

Buy a Tuxedo from Goodwill...put it on and walk around for a while...

Lay out your clothes the night before...Bury a jar of money someplace...try to find a parking lot penny! Go to Sams Club and eat the freebies...

Sheesh! Theres all sorts of stuff to do! :laughing:

Get a nice little dog...People are more apt to think you are a good guy if you have a nice little dog...let him sleep with you, feed him table scraps, make him wear a cute little bandana, take him everywhere...(chick magnet)...

Drink a full glass of water and take a baby aspirin right before you got to bed at 8pm...wake up at 3am, go out on the back deck and look up at the stars, take a nice long squirt, and let the dog out to do likewise...put on a pot of coffee, and log into the Forum...

Try to cheer people up...Try to make a stranger laugh daily...

Hold open doors for people...pick up litter, dont be in a hurry..make up a nickname for yourself and introduce yourself as such...

Buy a Tuxedo from Goodwill...put it on and walk around for a while...

Lay out your clothes the night before...Bury a jar of money someplace...try to find a parking lot penny! Go to Sams Club and eat the freebies...

Sheesh! Theres all sorts of stuff to do! :laughing:

Count all the bees in the hive. Chase all the clouds from the sky. ;)

Get your eyes checked regularly, not only for eyeglass prescription changes, but correct eye pressure, to catch possible Glaucoma early.

Seeing better helps with everything else you do ! :lookclose: :lol:

.....and if that's still not enough, get big print books and a large screen TV 50" or bigger :laughing:

Get your eyes checked regularly, not only for eyeglass prescription changes, but correct eye pressure, to catch possible Glaucoma early.

Seeing better helps with everything else you do ! :lookclose: :lol:

.....and if that's still not enough, get big print books and a large screen TV 50" or bigger :laughing:

And, get your ears tested and fitted for hearing aids! Not being able to hear normally is a major safety issue (think smoke alarms, car horns, public safety sirens, cop whistles, screeching tires, yelling bystanders, etc.) as well as being annoying to yourself and others. It is also creates a feeling of isolation. In addition, when you want to ignore someone, just pretend your hearing aids quit. ;)

And, get your ears tested and fitted for hearing aids! Not being able to hear normally is a major safety issue (think smoke alarms, car horns, public safety sirens, cop whistles, screeching tires, yelling bystanders, etc.) as well as being annoying to yourself and others. It is also creates a feeling of isolation.
In addition, when you want to ignore someone, just pretend your hearing aids quit. ;)

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

(good info and a good funny :lol: )

I'm 56 years old and if I go to the bar I see nothing but a bunch of kids. I go stand in the pharmacy line at Walmart and I see everyone I know.

Get out and go places and do things, otherwise you'll have no new stories to tell. Then you'll turn into the crazy old fart that no ones wants to visit.

Back
Top Bottom