Depth and ground balancing in mild-moderate soil conditions?

are you getting any more depth with the bounty hunter or are you just able to use it in more different conditions?

The more that you can compensate for soil conditions (ground balancing) your sensitivity will reach greater depth. So yes in those areas where ground balancing is needed the depth definitively is deeper.

I live in a place where in the soil you can almost get air test depths in it. I found that a proper gb even makes it even better thats with my machine though so other machines might behave different. So what im trying to say is even in GOOD ground I found an advantage to it.

In my (limited) experience, you are. If the Ace could only reach 6" I wouldn't be digging so many dang foot+ deep holes in the ground to pull out half a stinkin beer can. I have a picture of my carrot down inside one of those holes with a bit of can showing if visual proof is needed. I've pulled out lots of things at that depth, many have been a lot smaller than beer cans.

Hate to break the bad news,,,,but beer cans or halves of beer cans--- not the usual standard folks interested in a detector are crazy about.

More like depth distances on dimes, pennies,,gold rings.

I have witnessed what tn sharpshooter said about some detectors being more forgiving than others with there ground balances. To the above post about ground balance I have a different take on it. Its called playing the odds if I can buy a machine with ground balance and lets say it gives me 1 to 2 inchs extra depth im gonna go for it because there are not gonna be any more 1750s coins dropped anymore so whatever increases the odds of me finding them im going to go for it. I hear the argument about the ace from others too,its true alot has been found with them but its because so many people use them thus alot of things are found with them odds thing and a money thing. A big majority of the relics in my area are deep 6 inchs and beyond just beyond the range of the ace series would ground balance help the ace on depth I dont know but it would be nice to have that option to try. Metal detectors are TOOLS and anybody whos ever done manual labor knows the better your tools normaly it makes the job easier and also you can do a better job too. So if ground balance increases the odds by say 5% because you get an extra inch on depth in my philosophy ive got to go for it. We all have different takes on things so maybe im wrong.

I like this write up Calabash...Understanding dirt and our tools SWOT limitations is key...all the various settings are not as important as understanding where you are and what the dirt is telling you..this is ascertained in the first few minutes on a strange place on how to set up..and of course these parameters change daily based upon multiple conditions of weather and soil and what may be there...Seems a lot of times, depth is not as important as unmasking accuracy...
Mud

Other advantages to be had with manual GB, you can offset it to run a little hot, you can adjust it to clean up a scratchy signal, i can adjust it on my detector to miss small targets and just detect large items or vise versa, you can balance out hot rocks, coke etc
Some detectors are more ground reactive than others, some you can run well off balance with little depth effect, some need it perfect to give accurate screen ID's, some need constant adjustment as you hunt.

Depth means correct ground balance + ground signal slightly lifted up (fom ground zone). Metal detector should be without rejection feature and be digital. All filters off and no discrimination feature should be used.

Back
Top Bottom