Surprize find with Ace250 !

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi Everyone !  :grin:

Although some of the top-end metal detectors are claimed to
be capable of amazing ability when it comes to correctly
identifying a target, most machines can only make an educated
guess, based on the determined conductivity of the metal. This
was never so true as my find today, using the Ace 250.

Was at my sons house searching for a steel part that came loose and fell off my chain saw last fall. I got a good bell-tone and the identifier bar was bouncing from a fifty-cent piece to a dollar.
Whoopee !! My first large-denomination silver (or so I thought.)

The depth indicator fluctuated between 6 and 8+ inches. I dug down to at least 8 inches and guess what I found......a scrap of aluminum gutter about
a foot long and painted brown, same as the gutters on the house, and in good condition too (no rust).
My guess is that after the house was built, all the debris was dumped in the back yard and covered with extra dirt left over from digging the basement.

So to all the newbies out there (and myself included), don't be discouraged
with your detector if your actual "find" doesn't match what the  detector reported...................remember, it works on probabilities, based on metallic conductivity.

Hope this helps someone else.  ;)

ToddB64
Ace250

You can "usually" tell if a deep signal is rubbish ie. a drinks can or similar. When you get a strong signal which the machine says is deep, lift the head off the ground.
If you still get a signal when the search head is 6" or more in the air, it's a good bet it's not worth digging.

I did the trace size and then lift the coil to save digging rubbish for several years with the result of no bronze axes or hoards. I'm a little more careful now.

Back
Top Bottom