Questions for VX3/V3I users.

greginwv

Question about recovery delay and coil size, I just ordered a 12x10 SEF and a 4x6 eclipse shooter DD, I was wondering what adjustments i need to make to my recovery delay, and SAT (AM)? Any advice would be appriciated or maybe just opinions on these coils.

Recovery delay has more to do with trading off depth versus target isolation. A faster delay lets allows the detector to better isolate closely spaced targets (within reason since coil diameter also has an effect on target isolation). A longer delay will allow the detector to sense deeper targets.

Use a longer recovery delay where there are fewer targets, low trash and you want to go deep. It allows the deeper targets to come through. It gives them a chance to let the detector give a tone.

If you're in a trashy area, for example sidewalk strips, tot lots, playground grassy areas, etc, you'll want a shorter recovery delay so you can hear the good targets next to the nulled out ones.

SAT is self adjusting threshold. It works the same on the Spectrum (VX3 and V3i) as it does my GMT. As you increase SAT then the quicker the detector will return to threshold. If your SAT is too high, deep targets might not even give a tone because the SAT will return your detector to threshold too quickly. SAT isn't applied to Pinpoint, only the all-metal programs like Prospecting or a mixed-mode program you've made yourself.

The best way to experiment is test a few targets that you desire to find by burying them in the ground. For example, I buried some 14k jewelry I found at the beach in my back yard. I set up a little testbed for my GMT. The initial setting for the SAT on the GMT is 3-1/2 on a 10 scale. I noticed that in my ground here in Florida, the GMT really likes 14k gold jewelry (even the thin stuff) with an SAT setting of 4-1/2. I was using the GMT's stock 6x10 DD Goldmaster coil.

Back
Top Bottom