Yeah, another Ace 250 bottle caps question!

treasureID

Bottle caps are taking the fun out of metal detecting in a still promising local park I'd like to search more. I'm talking bottle caps everywhere. Basically, you can't swing the detector without the thing beeping -- and that's the problem, they make the same "bell" sounding beep coins do. I can't possibly dig all of these things... I can't really go by the fact the little indicator bounces around... because I've noticed even with coins it often bounces around. The one thing I've noticed, when the detector rings on a bottle cap, the indicator usually hovers around the two notches under the penny (I've noticed this is where zincolns are as well,) not the bottle cap (for what it's worth... I've noticed pieces of can or smashed cans hit as dimes, and pull tabs usually hit as nickels.) I'm thinking to simply get rid of those two notches and save a custom setting... I think that'll elimiate a lot of the bottle caps... Has anyone else noticed that? I realize I'll still be digging up bottle caps, but does anyone have any real tips other than "dig everything!" How those bottle caps just end up EVERYWHERE is beyond me... haha.

Yup, I've had those kinda days. Just wait till you get the DD coil. :laughing:

100_2734-1.jpg

Are all of those coins you posted in our group page yours that you dug? What do you swing and for how long?

Philly parks indeed! :mad: I'm hoping maybe someone has noticed some kind of pattern with these things! I think my only solution will be to get a pro-pointer so I can at least find the bottle cap faster than with my cheap cen-tech!

Burnt, yeah, those are things that I've found with my Ace250. I started detecting about a month or so ago.

Here in town, it's those older properties, in the borderline "seedy" parts. Those are the ones with tons and tons of beer/malt liquor caps.

You gotta dig those if you want a chance at the good stuff!

My personal opinion is to try to dig most of them. A pain? sure, but when those are not in the ground they will not be masking the good targets. Some might also not be a bottle-cap. Just my opinion.

I don't know, with my E-trac "in the shop" I have grabbed the ace for a few great hunts! Bottle caps ring in as .25 ding ding ding...hit pinpoint and hold while sweeping across the target...short blip is coin no matter what the depth.. longer beep is probably something else , lift the coil off the ground with pinpoint held, if the pinpoint is still going it is a bottlecap. of course soil cond play a part in this but I can tell the bottle cap from a quarter within seconds.
some of the pull tabs still fool me... I have had aluminum pieces ring in at .10 from multiple directions...just the nature of the beast I guess.

Thanks for your insight... I guess I'm going to have to do some more tests and really pay attention to the detector to see if I can find some method to the madness! I know it'll never be 100%, but I'm trying to at least get better at weeding out the junk!

Nothing you can really do. On the ace series for the most part bottle caps always ring up as coins. I haven't found any thing to stop that. Damn caps are the same size as coins for the most part and usually ring up the same on the Ace. I know from experience lol

It's the curse of our hobby. You can spend obscene money on a machine, and still have a pile of junk in your bag at the end of the day. The more you spend, the less junk that you dig, but if it wasn't rusty bottlecaps it would be flattened aluminum screwcaps. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Back
Top Bottom