How to get kids interested in detecting.

nittany1

Elite Member
There were a few questions here and there about getting kids interested in detecting and what gear to get. Start them as young as possible with a detector they can readily use is the answer. I seed the back yard with coins sometimes. Here is a hunt I set up today with a clad quarter. My 4-1/2 year old has been with me many times as I go detecting at parks and beaches, but his favorite stomping ground is the back yard, kids learn by imitation so let your kid come detecting with you and watch how you do it, they will then already know what to do without any explaining.

For my son I set up my lightest detector, my Tesoro uMax Bandido.I put on the 4" coil which is perfect for little ones and coins. I also set the stem for the shorest length. I ground balance it for him and then set up the discrimination for coins.

landontreasure018.jpg

Here is my son sweeping back and forth like I do, I didn't have to explain it to him, he knew what to do after coming with me several times.

landontreasure019.jpg

He came across a patch of sand in the back yard which is where I planted the coin, he may have suspected that, but the detector told him everything he needed to know.

landontreasure021.jpg

Landon didn't waste any time digging a hole, he's seen me do it enough times. I didn't give him the Lesche, I didn't want him to get hurt. A garden trowel from the local hardware store is more appropriate.

landontreasure025.jpg

He knows to check the hole often. I didn't have to explain this to him either, he knows from watching me so many times.

landontreasure026.jpg

Still in the hole somewhere!

landontreasure027.jpg

It's in there somewhere!

landontreasure028.jpg

And there it is! A clad quarter!! He gets as excited as I do!

landontreasure029.jpg

He loves coinshooting as much as I do. I never have to ask him twice if he wants to go detecting! I would seed the back yard a few times and then bring your kids to the parks, tot lots, fields or beaches.

I taught him good hole filling technique and I've also shown him how to properly put back dirt and replace a plug, he's not 100% on that technique so we're going to stick to the beach and tot lots which are easier to fill.

For equipment I would recommend a light detector like a Tesoro and a smaller coil, the 4" and a spare lower rod are readily available from all forum sponsors.

I hope your kids have as much fun detecting as we do!

Regards,

Tom (father) & Landon (son)

Great post Nittany!! Great to see your kid loves the hobby. Here in MN our ground it so hard my 11 year old cant even push a shovel or lesche in.

Here is the video of my son drew and I finding first silver coin ever. Hes a bit excited@@ Well I was too.

I was just happy to have him with me.

That's awesome I'm going to have to try this with my son whenever I take him he wants to use it but I can't let the thing go its like crack forgot I got 2 now .. have to try this tomorrow

Great Pics and suggestions!
It never fails that wherever we go kids usually show up.
Am proud to say all my hunting buddies take time out to teach a little bit about detecting to the kids who are curious:grin:.

If KT could jest get Prince John to exhibit one 1/10th the interest and enthusiasm your son has....KT could get him hooked so we could hunt together! But, all he wants to do is sit and kill them goons on his puter.

Nit, great post. Good talking to you earlier on chat. Kids make great hunting partners. Then they become proficient. My oldest is 16 and we have competitions of some sort every time we hunt. Its a great motivator, can't let the kid beat you. Too bad I lost yesterday. Now we're tied on silver for the year. Keep up the good parenting. It will pay off. HH

I bring my son on a lot of trips. He keeps what he digs, then pulls out my coin jar and shows his mother how much "we" had found so far. :laughing:

He is hooked too. I need to get him a MD too.

Back
Top Bottom