air testing my MXT

Hi Steeler,

It is not unusual to find that many (though not all) detectors go deeper on under the ground targets than they do on air tests. But that is neither here nor there. When you hook up with your dealer you should be able to do some side by side comparisons (your coil on another MXT, your MXT with another 950, other coils like the 6X10, or whatever).

This methodology sure beats doing comparisons across the internet with different detectors, varying sweep speeds, different ground matrix, etc.

If your dealer is on the ball and service oriented you should be able to get some answers and pick up a few more pointers. Let us know how it turns out.

Rudy,

I took the chace you was right and went out to a local school this am. It did work better than the air tests.

My detector let me max out the gain and I was using low discrim also. I simply lowered the threshold to where I could not hear the hum at all. I will raise it as time goes by, but this is a good way for me to learn for now.

Well my good friend you was right. For some reason I was pulling out clad from all kinds of depths (for the first time). I was able to tell good targets, and hear deeper ones easily. I felt extremely comfortable with the mxt today.

There are two things everyone says you need to do when being new with a new detector. practice and learn what the machine is telling you. So very true.

Thanks for your patience and helpful posts. You helped me and so many others I am sure. You and everyone here, actually.

Good day and HH.

WTG Steeler!

Glad to hear you were pulling in some deep ones. What was your
deepest one. :?:

When you feel more comfortable, raise the threshold to where it is just
audible (like a mosquito). Then, when is nulls, it is an indication that there
is some iron down there and you may want to sweep the area from different
directions to not miss any possible targets due to masking. Also, the real deep
ones may just be a whisper. That is, a repeatable increase in the threshold volume. These targets are just on the fringe of detection and don't have enough
signal strength for the MXT to lock on to them and produce a VDI, or trigger a beep.

OkieDigger said:
Steeler, I think I paid $99 for mine. It was last year when KCo was selling them really cheap with a detector purchase. I also bought a 14" Excelerator ver.1 coil (used) from someone. Here's what can tell you about Excelerator coils. The 4.5"x7" is awesome. I have personally used this one. The only problem with it is the depth indication on very shallow objects (1" to 2" deep). It always says they're two to three inches deeper than what they really are. And for a small coil, it will go deeper than most its size. The 5" Excelerator I hear is very good as well. I've not personally used one though. I own and use the 8" coil 95% of the time. It's awesome. I've had no problems with it whatsoever and I've used it in shallow water as well. There are two 14" Excelerator coils. Version 1 which I bought is complete (edited). You're lucky to get 4" of depth with it. It's noisy as @#$! and basically makes you want to wrap it around a tree. I bought the White's 14" DD to replace it. KCo doesn't make Excelerators. Detech is the company that does. It's German I believe. KCo is their distributor here in the US.

Rudy, as far as depth goes on my 8", I can tell you right now that it does go deep. I have no doubt in my mind that it will go as deep as the stock 950 coil. I've dug wheats at 8.5" inches (measured) with this coil in dry hard packed Oklahoma soil. Now, I will say this, Oklahoma has some really good soil for detecting where I am, so that helps.

Germany?The germany firm Detech don't produce searchcoils.
www.detech-shop.de

First, Okie is correct. The excelerators are made in Germany and they are made by DeTech. It says so on the my coils and in Kellyco ads.

I do have the 5" and it is great in trash and being a small coil will not get the depth of the 9.5. My 8" has been great. I don't know if it is deeper than the 9.5 but it is deep. I can usally run both at +2 or +3.

I do well with the 9.5 in the wide open and less trashy areas.

I paid $99 for each. I'd call JW and see if the forum special is still in effect. I bought the 8" in March. Rob

The excelerators are made in Germany and they are made by DeTech. It says so on the my coils and in (Kstore) ads.

Maybe on your coil is written "Germany",but
I believe in the answer of German firm DeTech about the production of coils:

16j52x1.jpg

You can use translator,but for these who don't know Germam here is the answer of German firm DeTech in English:

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we should inform you that DeTech-Elektrohandel GbR is not the producer of these searchcoils which you are asking for.

Best Regards,
DeTech-Team

The correct name is DETECH,all one word and their not made in Germany its just that the main/original distributor was based in Germany.

Rudy said:
  Also, the real deep
ones may just be a whisper. That is, a repeatable increase in the threshold volume. These targets are just on the fringe of detection and don't have enough
signal strength for the MXT to lock on to them and produce a VDI, or trigger a beep.

Very, very interesting. But now Im curious. Hmm.. How do I ask this properly.

I am always looking for a vdi number. At what depth does the machine stop producing a VDI and I should be paying attention to other things such as the repeatable increase in threshold? Would I still get a decent VDI at 6-8 inches?
Btw, Im still using the stock 950 coil, although I am about to order the 4.5x7 excellerator.

Steeler said:
Rudy said:
  Also, the real deep

Very, very interesting.  But now Im curious.   Hmm.. How do I ask this properly.

I am always looking for a vdi number.  At what depth does the machine stop producing a VDI and I should be paying attention to other things such as the repeatable increase in threshold? Would I still get a decent VDI at 6-8 inches?
  Btw, Im still using the stock 950 coil, although I am about to order the 4.5x7 excellerator.

Kind of hard to give a general answer since it depends a lot on the mineralization, coil used and (to a lesser extent on the MXT) your sweep speed. But for a quarter size coin, you should get a VDI reading at 6-8 inches. The VDI won't necessarily lock solid and you may see a shift in the reading depending on how mineralized the ground is.

I agree with Rudy. I haven't found a coin yet where I didn't get any VDI reading with the 9.5. I'm still getting readings at 11" and 12". I do believe the VDI numbers start shifting down the scale. A normal 78 might start dropping to the 60's for example. Gound here is 50's to 70.
My 5" excelerator does read deeper than it is. Rob

Back
Top Bottom