Best tip on gold items

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
I know others have posted similar things but I cannot reiterate it enough = find the nickels & find the gold. I went over my last 10 years detecting records (been detecting 30+ years now ) and I figured out that I get one gold item for every 33 nickels on average. Most years I get between 24 & 44 gold items, almost all from parks & school yards.

So if you are not digging the nickels then maybe try finding the setting on your machine where nickels show up - at there or below. Maybe bite the bullet for a few weeks, dig more things and see if anything improves. steve in so az

thanks for the tip. I went to a park yesterday that was so trashy I put the detector on dime on up. Maybe I ought to go back and hit the nickel range, maybe I will get lucky

ej - I dont think it's luck - give it a try & see - you may get a revelation ! steve

Right on Steve, my at pro hits a solid 52 on a nickel and if I toss my 10k ring on the ground it hits 51-52 laying flat.

Standing on edge is another bouncy story but it's in the same range. If I skip anything now its the 55-58's.

If you want gold necklaces and bracelets you're going to have to accept from foil on up.

Yup. my "Cesar" 14k that I got today (in the finds thread) came up just around 47-49 on my AT-PRO. Normally dont dig that but had some 50-51 bounces in there too which most times provides a nickle for me. I discrim 54-60 range out but have everything else from 40 on up open. Sens all the way up unless Im getting elect interferance from power lines etc etc. Nice thing about the AT-Pro is that you can have two side by side and most times, change freq and not impact the other machine.

I have found gold at iron, foil, nickel, tabs and zinc so guess what I am now forced to usually dig?
Yep...just about everything!

Hee hee...kinda' makes you wonder why we pay for those discriminating bells and whistles. I still like my bells and whistles though.

Hee hee...kinda' makes you wonder why we pay for those discriminating bells and whistles. I still like my bells and whistles though.

Happen to have a good deal on these.
Act now...supplies are limited!

Attachments

• bells and whistles.jpg
    bells and whistles.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 512
Found a gold band last night, 56 on the at pro, tonight I was looking at that figure and dug 9 nickles

Different pieces of gold and different karrots of gold ring up different. I've tested 5 or 6 pieces and it just seems random to me. The 10k's seemed to ring way low like 12-03 on Etrac. 14k's were anywhere from that range up to 12-22. Usually when I find gold it IS because I'm digging nickels but I can get very accurate nickel readings with my settings which ring 12-13 or 12-14 everytime for me. So if the gold piece doesn't ring exactly in that tiny range I usually wont find it. I've pulled some nice golds that have rang up right in that range though. Just last week I pulled an old 14k Masons pocket watch fob that weighed 3 grams. Rang a dead 12-13 and I had already dug 2 V nickels and a buff in the same area so I thought for sure it was another nickel...got a good surprise. :yes:

I'm doing something really wrong. Is this what most people are getting?:wow:

Steve said he's been MDing for 30+ years.Things become second nature in that amount of time

I have found 2 gold rings this year both at or near the nickel range. I found one with my 1225x and the other with my f4.

The first ring I found was my first find ever a 14k cross ring.I found a gold ring before I ever found a coin in a hunted out park.You know why??I was new.The MD made a noise I'm digging.

I got away from that with the new detector because when nickel tone produced trash 90 percent of the time and very few nickels.

I went back to digging nickel tones and found another gold ring.It's disappointing and tedious but hard work will produce results.

Last edited:
The first gold ring I've found sounded just like a nickel to me. I thought, it must be another nickel, but when the sand fell off the scoop, and I see the ring inside, that's a sight to behold. :)

I have tested two gold rings and a platinum ring on the F2.

The platinum came in a solid 25 or foil signal

The first 14 k ring gave a solid 37 Tab and never bounced

I tested a 14 k band at a park a guy had and it was a 48 Zinc signal that didn't bounce.

Air tests of course, but that was the results :)

sgtwilks - Your statement "the md made a noise - I'm digging" is exactly how I started - then got away from it years later - then came back to it presently. As you said - lots trash - but it is rewarding. If you can stand all the trash :)
Today I dug a kazillion tabs & foil, etc, 40 coins and no gold/silver. But at this same site I dug a gold ring 2 days ago and a second one 4 days ago . Same site. So one just has to wade through the junk if you want the goods. steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom