Pulled Out Ring #6 For 2011 Today Relic Hunting......

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
KEYSCOINSANDRING.jpg

Headed out early this morning with a hunting buddy and hit several places. There is still some scattered snow in the woods and north facing hills. But with a nice sun beating down on us, it really didn't matter.

APLOUGH.jpg

We must have hiked about 10 miles today. Here are some of the treasures we stumbled on during the day. Seeing several butterflies out today is a sure sign of spring.

ABFINDS.jpg

My hunting buddy got a couple of silvers using his GTI 1500. It was his turn to get some. The AT Pro had already found some a week ago.

AKEYANDRING.jpg

Here's my best take for the day. But.....what is that non magnetic aqua key? Any guesses?

Attachments

• SOME PRIZE.jpg
    SOME PRIZE.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 369
But.....what is that non magnetic aqua key? Any guesses?

Aquakey makes compasses for boats. When you mount a magnetic compass on a boat or plane, there's a procedure for aligning the compass to "true north" against "magnetic north". Essentially what you're doing is aligning the compass heading to the craft it's mounted on to make damned sure that your boat/plane is headed in exactly the direction the compass says it's heading. Any magnetic deviations over long distances can then be taken off maritime charts and then the compass heading and deviation is calculated to give true heading.

Not only is this done during initial installation, it also has to be realigned periodically because magnetic north wanders around over time. This alignment is called "swinging" a compass, and it requires a nonmagnetic tool (usually a screwdriver) to turn the dial.

http://terrax.org/geography/compass/compass.aspx

Even though magnetic compasses are still being manufactured, sold and used by private pilots and sailors, with the advent of GPS they've been rendered little more than romantic artifacts of yesteryear. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect they probably aren't even being installed on commercial craft anymore.

Which might make your key even more of a collector's item over time as magnetic compasses go the way of typewriters and vinyl records! :yes:

ADD:

Re: "Aquakey makes compasses for boats"

Oops. Make that "AquaMETER makes compasses for boats" ;-)

Last edited:
Ahh, that makes sense. Another question, what coil are you running? Why that one instead of the stock double D? I just bought an AT pro and have Aleta followed your posts. Just wondering why the change.

Ahh, that makes sense. Another question, what coil are you running? Why that one instead of the stock double D? I just bought an AT pro and have Aleta followed your posts. Just wondering why the change.

I like the way that the 9" x 12" pinpoints off the inner front toe of the coil. I get a more pronounced audio signal which tells me it's depth and type of target. Coin and ring audio stops more suddenly then say tinfoil or canslaw. I have neutral soil here, so my DD shouldn't really be of an advantage for depth. I am however going to switch coils down the road and see how they compare. I might still be missing out on something.

Aquakey makes compasses for boats. When you mount a magnetic compass on a boat or plane, there's a procedure for aligning the compass to "true north" against "magnetic north". Essentially what you're doing is aligning the compass heading to the craft it's mounted on to make damned sure that your boat/plane is headed in exactly the direction the compass says it's heading. Any magnetic deviations over long distances can then be taken off maritime charts and then the compass heading and deviation is calculated to give true heading.

Not only is this done during initial installation, it also has to be realigned periodically because magnetic north wanders around over time. This alignment is called "swinging" a compass, and it requires a nonmagnetic tool (usually a screwdriver) to turn the dial.

http://terrax.org/geography/compass/compass.aspx

Even though magnetic compasses are still being manufactured, sold and used by private pilots and sailors, with the advent of GPS they've been rendered little more than romantic artifacts of yesteryear. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect they probably aren't even being installed on commercial craft anymore.

Which might make your key even more of a collector's item over time as magnetic compasses go the way of typewriters and vinyl records! :yes:

ADD:

Re: "Aquakey makes compasses for boats"

Oops. Make that "AquaMETER makes compasses for boats" ;-)

Thanks for that link. Now I am really glad I found it!

I like the way that the 9" x 12" pinpoints off the inner front toe of the coil. I get a more pronounced audio signal which tells me it's depth and type of target. Coin and ring audio stops more suddenly then say tinfoil or canslaw. I have neutral soil here, so my DD shouldn't really be of an advantage for depth. I am however going to switch coils down the road and see how they compare. I might still be missing out on something.

Thanks! That is great info. Is it safe to say in YOUR opinion that the audio is more crisp with the 9/12 on good targets?

Congrats on a good day. Found some Canadian silver in my pocket change today! Good stuff. You guys got an extra couple years on the silver coins!

Back
Top Bottom