Asked to leave but in the right?

sanebedlam

So I was metal detecting a city park today that was at one time a homestead apparently. after a couple of hours of looking I was approached by two people from the museum on the lot adjacent to the park and asked to stop. I was very polite asked a few questions and did stop and leave not wanting to cause any issues but as far as I can tell I am in the right. It is a city park and the city has no ordinances against md'ing.

I have already looked into it and although the museum an its property is a registered national historic site and therefore a nogo for detecting the park which is adjacent (obvious property lines) is not registered. I was just curious what you guys thought I mean obviously I left not wanting to cause a scene but I dont think I technically had to or was in the wrong. I am considering contacting the museum board (super small museum and the lady that asked me to stop and the gentlemen that joined her implied they were on the board) so getting in touch with the people that confronted me shouldn't be hard. I obviously dont want to be rude but just to clarify with them their concerns and my point that I am not breaking any rules.

welp in this sistuation its kinda touchy fealy gota be careful. give you an exsample of what i ran into.
back in may i was detecting a local park here that up till 2001 was a state owned historical park. now its owned by the township an controlled by the historical socity. welp i called my township an local police an even the historical socity number an spoke with a lady giving me the go ahead an even gave me a few more locations in my town i could do. wel-p i hunted the park 3 or 4 times with no problems everynow an then someoen would ask me what im looking for or if i found anything the norm. so geting the promission an all i felt save we could do a 7 man group hunt for the day we where there about 5 hours and outa no where a guy comes up questioning one of the fellow members this memeber directed him to me an this guy started geting all hype about us detecting a historical park an destorying histery i kindly exsplained that i spoke with the township the local police and the historical socity. he mumble something about next meeting this will change they will pass a no mding law i ignored him an kept doing are thing then about an hour later this guys back this time he brought company. these 2 gental ment come up to me asking who in the historical socity gave me promission i exsplained i talked to the person that answers your phones that claimed to be on the board an said it was ok that people have in the past. just that anything majoy found goes directly to them with gps cords an mark the spot. he exsplains to me he is the president of the local historical socity an this is not aloud due to a old house that use to be on the property in a 50x50 foot spot of the park welp. i was able to come to an agreement with this. that we would stay away from that 50x50 spot and continue to md this park from here out he agreed an now has even invited me to the socity. helped me find places local to hunt an even provide me with original documentation an maps floor plans an all for the last 370 years.

so my point is becareful how you go about this if you handle it right you will be able to hunt the park with just a few ground rules historical socitys an musems can make your life a liveing nightmare if you rub them the wrong way just be careful.

I understand completely obviously I never want to get adversarial with them and would honestly gladly work with them as long as they want to be reasonable I just wanted to vent a bit here and get my head on straight before I contacted them lol.

Some of them are already rubbed the wrong way and are a nightmare all the time. I won't go into details, but I get written permission from land owners and they still try to run me off. I usually leave and come back later when they are gone.

Related to this museum post you made earlier?

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=95088

Yep lol same museum I have since done the research and know I cant detect on the museum property (and never have) but the park adjacent is a different lot and luckily they were so helpful in providing maps of the area they deemed historic in their register with the national register of historic places so I could easily determine where their lot ended and the public park started.

The thing with confrontational complainers, is that they can never let anything go. They have to be right about everything, all the time, and everyone has to know that. They enjoy it, and won't stop, until they bask in their own glory. Doesn't matter how large or small the problem, they are driven to victory. If the direct confrontation doesn't gratify them, then they'll go the sneaky route. It's really best to give them the initial battle, cover all your bases first, before initiating the next confrontation. They usually have quite a reputation, and most avoid get into their focus, but if you are in the right, have the documentation to prove it, not a whole lot they can do, for a while, and won't be as easy to get changes made, regardless of how loud and unpleasant they may be.

I haven't ran out of hassle free places to hunt, and could go back with a better machine later. Don't see myself getting into a fight of a piece of ground.

I did some research for you: Not good news

http://www.city.kodiak.ak.us/citycode/Pages/Code_18.aspx#chapter 18.32cpark and watershed regulations

18.32.040 Removal of soil, trees, or plants. No person in a park or watershed shall dig or remove any beach sand, whether submerged or not, or any soil, rock, stones, trees, shrubs, or plants, downed timber or other wood, or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting, or other means or agency. (Ord. 399 §3(2), 1973)

This appears to be referring to removing actual plants and natural items I mean I know technically it might including metal detecting but isnt this like the signs lots of people talk about here that refer to not destroying plants and sod but dont really prevent metal detectors?

Just check with LEO and city to be sure. I'd stay away from the museum area. Plenty of other areas to hunt. Catch a bird to Nome area.:D

Thats the thing without paying a minelab e-tracs price tag in flights there really is only a very few areas I can hunt locally due to the lack of parks I think I am going to check out the local high school tomorrow and see how that looks.

What do these kind of people think, that they're going to do full excavations on the park someday?

I think they are just control freaks who think they "own" history and don't want anyone to enjoy it without doing it their way.

A detectorist might discover something they don't know and that would just be too humiliating for them.

Back
Top Bottom