• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Asked to leave

KatodogNY

Let me start out by saying I have four main hunting places in the town I live in. Over the past few weeks I have noticed another detectorists holes. They are horribly dug with dirt spilling out of the sides and the plug sloppily put back. I have tried to repair these as I see them. That being said I worried that this would get the respectful hobbyists including myself in trouble down the road. Well, it happened. I was detecting at a large grassy area used for parking for my towns annual firemens carnival. Lots of clad, but fun to hunt. I dug about 20 targets as I walked a straight line from my car to about 100 ft. Anyways, if anybody followed behind me they would never know I dug there. I use the 3/4 plug method with a towel for the dirt. Plug goes back perfectly..nice-nice.
I hear a voice saying something and look up to see a guy in a pick up truck. I remove my headphones and he says the Fire dept. doesn't appreciate people metal detecting on the property because of the unsightly holes. :(
I wasn't feeling well that day so I apologized and went home. Later on I wished I could have explained and even showed him how I retrieved a target but I pretty much figured he wouldn't hear any of it. It just bothers me because its a hobby that is peaceful for me and I dig properly and clean up trash etc...and someone not understanding how I feel and do not make a mess makes me a bit upset.

I just wanted to share this and was looking for opinions on the following: If I ever encounter this other person that digs bad holes should I say something? If so what approach to use.

Thanks

HH

yea i just had a historic site that i had to go through town meetings to get permission shut down on me. Someone had made a huge mess and im the one that brought it to the attention of the historic society that gave me permission, The kindly replied that because of someone else I am now unable to hunt this spot until further notice, and they thanked me for all the items I had brought to them,

Let me start out by saying I have four main hunting places in the town I live in. Over the past few weeks I have noticed another detectorists holes. They are horribly dug with dirt spilling out of the sides and the plug sloppily put back. I have tried to repair these as I see them. That being said I worried that this would get the respectful hobbyists including myself in trouble down the road. Well, it happened.

You have to go back to that fire station and explain what happened.

The existing rules and laws need to be enforced, not new ones created, by stupid knee jerking. There are firemen there around the clock waiting for a fire it is their job to keep people from tearing up the grass not from metal detecting, not yours. You just need to explain what is going on. The other guy is breaking our ethics, by not building up his plugging skills in his own yard etc.

Also, remember we never dig. We carefully extract with an instrument.

yea i just had a historic site that i had to go through town meetings to get permission shut down on me. Someone had made a huge mess and im the one that brought it to the attention of the historic society that gave me permission, The kindly replied that because of someone else I am now unable to hunt this spot until further notice, and they thanked me for all the items

Maybe they should put up a sign and give you the sole permit to hunt there.

San fernando Valley

I notice a few places here in the San Fernando Valley that we also have a person that does the samething:mad:

It could of been a nosey person just being overly protective. I have had many people approach me in parks saying "youre not supposed to be digging holes", "why are you digging in a public park" etc. I just look at them and smile and say "im not digging...Im retrieving targets"

Back
Top Bottom