Took the ATP for its first stroll

Timbertodd

I had a little time after work yesterday so I took the opportunity to familiarize myself with the ATP. This is the first Garrett I have owned. I am the maintenance/landscape supervisor for a private school and figured the playground would be a great place to start. An hour and a half later I had $1.27 in clad a couple of pieces of junk jewelry a Malibu Grand Prix token and a handful of foil, paperclips and pencil ends. I opted to dig the iron signals both to see what was being ID and to make sure it wasn't something that could injure one of the kids come fall when school starts. Its amazing what you find in the wood chips. I have read reviews saying the detector is nose heavy but I found it well balanced. So far I'm happy with my purchase. Like the different detectors I owned in the past, each one had its own language and with time Ill understand better what the ATP is trying to tell me. The 94 degrees on the playground yesterday was a little brutal. I'm looking forward to things cooling down some.

I really love my AT Pro and use it occasionally and really like that Christmas kinda bells tone it has, wonder why they left that one out of the Max? keep us posted on your finds and HH.

Last edited:
I really like my AT Pro. It is the only detector I own, and it does a great job! I live where the soil is moderately mineralized and where there is not a ton of trash or iron in the ground.

In the first year of ownership, I paid for the machine with 154 silver coins found, one gold ring, many Silver rings, and about $250 in clad and pennies. So far this year I have over 130 silver coins (hope to get to 200!), 2 gold rings, many Silver rings, and even more clad than last year, so I know that your detector has the capability to do great for you!

My detecting partner uses the Equinox 600, and we check each others' targets on occasion, and the AT Pro, in this soil type, is equal to the 600. Have also hunted with a friend who has the Deus, and again, for my conditions, those detectors are equal in performance for what we are looking for... coins, tokens, buttons, fresh water only beach hunts.

I run Pro Zero Mode, Zero Discrimination, Max sensitivity, nothing discriminated or notched out. Yes, you do hear everything but use your growing experience to sort out what is good or bad. Hope you do great and happy hunting!

You'll enjoy the ATP, great machine. It balances better with the 5x8 coil. It's lighter than stock coil and great at seperating targets.

At least you are getting out there! Congrats on your first stroll with your new machine.

Been hunting with mine for about year. Only machine I've ever owned and seems to be very capable. I've found silver, gold, clad and plenty of junk. It's fun to try different settings just to see what it's going to say....Enjoy it and take the time to learn what it's telling you...Can't go wrong...

Im really looking forward to getting out again early Saturday morning for a couple of hours. It will be interesting to visit some of my old haunts and see whats changed since the last time I was there (10 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom