Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Default Local High School, first time there...

Fellow RPDC member Mike suggested we detect our local high school. This was my first time there. The snow had melted and it seemed like a good idea. Although, the snow was gone, the sod was super saturated and squished under our feet as we walked. My knees were soaked, along with the toes of my boots. My gloves needed to be wrung out as they were completely saturated also. The weather was pretty good for the middle of January and the school didn't disappoint. I found 42 coins and a little piece of bling. While retrieving a coin, I came upon a piece of glass that ended up sticking into my glove. Lucky for me, I was wearing gloves, as I always do. Good lesson for those who don't wear gloves.
Attached Images

Last edited by pacer; 01-21-2019 at 11:29 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

Glad to hear that you were able to get out and detect. Here in northwest Ohio the ground is frozen solid. With nighttime lows in the negative digits it'll be a while before we're able to get out.

Thank you for the reminder of wearing gloves. This past fall I pulled a handful of sand out of my hole only to find that my signal was a broadhead from an arrow.

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2019/silver coins (2) silver jewelry (1) Wheaties (4) tokens (0) clad (66/ $3.31)

Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Cool post and pics, I just started using gloves again due to almost having a glass shard in my finger.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 AM
Elite Member

Default gloves

Originally Posted by pacer View post
Fellow RPDC member Mike suggested we detect our local high school. This was my first time there. The snow had melted and it seemed like a good idea. Although, the snow was gone, the sod was super saturated and squished under our feet as we walked. My knees were soaked, along with the toes of my boots. My gloves needed to be wrung out as they were completely saturated also. The weather was pretty good for the middle of January and the school didn't disappoint. I found 42 coins and a little piece of bling. While retrieving a coin, I came upon a piece of glass that ended up sticking into my glove. Lucky for me, I was wearing gloves, as I always do. Good lesson for those who don't wear gloves.
Excellent reminder for the new hunters!!! You just never know whats in the dirt.
I have been surprised by glass, razor blades, random jagged metals, even sharp arrow heads.....Ive even dug numerous live rounds from 12ga, 22s, and a 45 cal a few months ago.
But probably my closest "thank god" moment was the surface penny signal and I non shallotly reached into the grass and felt around and felt my middle finger swipe across something sharp.....to my amazement it was a hunting arrow. I even had the benefit of having Kevlar coated gloves on and the blade still managed to slice a bit of the glove !!! I hate to think what a bare finger would have looked like .

So , yeah....Its worth dropping a couple bucks on some gloves guys.
Attached Images

CTX3030. Silver coins: 2018: 70....... 2017: (94) , 2016:116(B-Listers: half reale and seated quarter, two-center)5 Barber Quarters!,6 Seated coins, , 2015:97,2014:70,2013 :30

Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 AM
Elite Member

Gloves are always something I wear when out detecting. Good hunt in that high school.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

A very nice outing. Gloves are part of the uniform. Trapper

Old 01-22-2019, 02:58 PM

I did not use to wear gloves when I first started back in the 80's. But anymore I always wear gloves. With the newer style gloves that are out now days, they are not so bulky and are a real pleasure to wear so it just makes sense to wear gloves.

pacer
I can't believe that you guys hit the whole school, are you guys going back to HS for some more?

Ray

Old 01-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by RayK View post
I did not use to wear gloves when I first started back in the 80's. But anymore I always wear gloves. With the newer style gloves that are out now days, they are not so bulky and are a real pleasure to wear so it just makes sense to wear gloves.

pacer
I can't believe that you guys hit the whole school, are you guys going back to HS for some more?

Ray
Didn't detect the entire school. Spent a couple of hours detecting and will be going back again.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Supporter

Good to see you got out Man!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

Nice hunt! My grandma lived on the base of C hill.

Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2019) - Clad: $3197.46 ($28.36), Silver Coins: 1612 (18), Wheats: 7245 (123), .925: 277 (4), Marbles 805 (14), Coinstar Silver: 14, Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1888 Seated Quarter

Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM

great reminder to always wear gloves, also nice finds

Old 01-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Sweet, was that Damonte?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CarsonChris View post
Sweet, was that Damonte?
No, Damonte is in Reno.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

Good thing you wear gloves! High schools can be good hunting. I found a 1911 Canadian half at one and a modern silver ring at a local one, of course lots of clad too.Happy hunting.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by RayK View post

pacer

Ray
Since I've been a mechanic most all of my life, in the later years they came out with gloves just for mechanics. I like the ones with the supple rubber palm and the thin stretch cloth on the back. They can be had for less than five dollars at most auto parts stores. They are thin enough to work the controls no an AT Max and you don't have to scrub your hands so hard when you go for lunch.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

Gloves have never been needed here. My Sampson 31" digger gets the target above ground and in plain sight before grabbing it. jm2c

Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Haldean View post
Since I've been a mechanic most all of my life, in the later years they came out with gloves just for mechanics. I like the ones with the supple rubber palm and the thin stretch cloth on the back. They can be had for less than five dollars at most auto parts stores. They are thin enough to work the controls no an AT Max and you don't have to scrub your hands so hard when you go for lunch.
I have those type of gloves too, completely changed my opinion of gloves. I use them all the time for work around the house and yard now too and of course working on the car or bike. Nothing like doing a brake job then taking off the gloves and having clean hands.
Just have to remember to take some out detecting with me now.