Sunray Pro Gold Headphone Repair Question Help

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Recently my Sunray Pro Gold headphones developed a crackle and pop that I diagnosed to the wire connection at the 90 degree plug. Did a little research and purchased a straight 1/4“ plug soldered the wires and assembled it all and tested it and it works without interruptions... The only problem is that the volume coming through the headphones is barely a whisper, but clear.

Anyone replaced the 1/4" plug and had similar issues? Recommendations?

Maybe a strand of the ground touching the positive but i would think that would totally kill it. Left and right are both working but both quiet?

I've got pair of Koss 30 headphones that don't work in my Explorer II, but, one side works in my Garrett 300 which is strange. Other headphones with 1/4" plugs work fine in the Explorer. I haven't taken them apart yet but plan to repair the plug.

Correct. I am puzzled

Me too. I have done a fair amount of amateur electronic tinkering and haven't run into anything like that. My first set of MD headphones, i shut the door on the cord and drove 25 miles dragging the cord which ate the plug. I put on a new plug and it worked well. On those the wires looked bare but i had to scrape them with a razor blade to get contact.. some kind of clearcoat insulation?

You didn’t hit the Compatibility switch did you?

No, I tried all positions and it still was whisper quiet. I guess I could redo the wiring one more time but I will be eating into the straight length of the available cord.

Or maybe I could do a splice to give it additional length.

So did the sun rays come with a stereo Jack? If so was that what it was replaced with?

3 Wires in the original cable, black, red, white. I am soldering a stereo jack back onto the cable. Going to call the SunRay repair guy listed on their website and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom