Heavily hunted sites trash is your friend

longbow62

Forum Supporter
There are 5 of us who detect several spots where I live on a regular basis. They are fall back spots where if you don't have a better place you default to one of the known sites that keep giving up the goods. These places have been hit with all the top detectors time and time again, but for some reason they continue to give up a silver or two on a somewhat regular basis.
All these spots have crazy amounts of ferrous and nonferrous trash. I find it for the most part hard to believe there is not an inch of ground that has not had a coil swung over it on multiple occasions, but silver and old stuff keeps coming out of the ground for some reason.
I think the high amounts of trash is the key. If these were trash free yards, lots, or parks they would be cleaned out, but the trash keeps stuff hid until you hit it from the perfect direction with just the right detector and ground conditions. So anyway I think in the right place lots of trash can keep sites productive if you don't give up on them. I also am coming to believe places like this are the best places to learn how to detect. If you can detect these places clean spots are gravy.

You make good points. Most people tend to hit the easiest spots, the less trashy spots. I agree, if you have the patients to work trashy spots you can sometimes pick out a keeper between the junk. I'm sure many rigs and combos are good for this, I love the recovery speed on the 5x8 coil on my ATPro for this task.

I agree 100% Everybody needs a hard to hunt junkyard in their area..It really helps a guy learn how to set up and understand their rig and the corresponding dirt language, masked targets, etc...Yep, the World is your Oyster if you learn to hunt the junk...:thumbsup: Plus, most folks avoid it...so its all yours for a nice little puzzle to unravel from time to time...

I think what also happens is that somebody removes a piece of trash and they don't thoroughly rescan the hole after they put it all back together.
The removed trash unmasks a good target. Or, some object that wasn't detected due to its orientation gets shifted when the dirt and plug is replaced and it's now more detectable by the next person.

I'll push back on the "every square inch has been detected." One acre has something like 6 million square inches. Even loud solid signals are only loud and solid after you manage to get your detector over them. Even in a trash free park I think you'd have to grid off sections to conclude it was picked clean.

Last week my yard gave up another silver Washington, and it was right out in the open. No surrounding trash and clear as can be from all angles. Yet, I've detected that part of my yard dozens of times. I was walking back to the house from the rear of the property and swinging casually as I went along.

Good article on the trashy site. My hunting buddy & myself have an old site like this. We have been pounding it for about 1 1/2 years. Full of trash but still gives up a good coin now & then. Back in December he got the 6” coil for his Nox 800 & I got the 5” coil for my Multi Kruzer. Small coils do make a difference in these old trash lots. Since getting the small coils, this lot has given up another 16 old coins.

I really enjoy the trashy public spots, and have dug hundreds of silvers and oldies in these hard-hit areas over the last decade.

Trashy park hunting is the main reason I bought the 6" coil for my 800. It works. I have pulled a handful of silvers with it since late last summer. I also think maybe many of these trashy areas have been targeted for this very reason, for a long time now. I don't really find higher numbers of coins in the trashy spots. They have been cleaned up...just not cleaned out.
This year, I will be working on this skill. :yes:

I completely agree! When someone tells me about a super trashy site I get pumped up. My best finds have come from "trashy, hunted out sites" where guys have told me I wouldn't find anything. If you know your machine, any challenging site WILL give up good finds!

I have a trashy park. I hit it yesterday. I only dug solid repeatable tones. Came up with $2.53 in clad for a two hour hunt. Park is looked at by multiple MD’s. Has me thinking a smaller coil for the AT pro is in order.

I have a trashy park. I hit it yesterday. I only dug solid repeatable tones. Came up with $2.53 in clad for a two hour hunt. Park is looked at by multiple MD’s. Has me thinking a smaller coil for the AT pro is in order.

Yeah, get that 5x8 coil on your ATPro and may not take it off! Lighter and easier to swing than the stock coil. Recovery speed is very fast so it's ideal for squeaking out some keepers in a trashy site.

This is a great subject! Hunting trash also teaches alternative coil manipulation techniques...like even on a 11"dd there is a sweet spot that acts like a sniper coil...you can hop coil or highfly it to try to isolate a good target when you have 3 others under the coil at the same time...

For me, in heavy trash, using the pinpoint button on the machine is No good...a guy can however 'hop coil' and shoot the signal straight down to isolate the good target out of a mess...That works really good! Even for tight multidenom spills!~

Plus in the trash, a guy has to think about the 'coil sweet spot' (about the size of a golfball), and cover the ground with tighter overlaps and constantly be circling the area from different directions and manipulating the coil sweep parameters...

Its entirely different than traditional sweeping a place with nice smooth arcs...especially when you are getting the staccato of multiple targets under coil at the same time...they can overload and overwhelm a rigs processors, so speed and focus is important...The big bummer is a guys ears and brain can only take so much of this mess in one outing, so having a place like this is good to go to when you are really fresh..you gotta really concentrate!

Its exhausting but a lot of fun to have a real trash field to hunt occasionally! I'd hate to have to do it everyday though..A guy sort of misses the mess when He's swinging down miles of open sand or farm field with nary a peep!

The skills learned hunting the trash are a Huge benefit, everybody needs to find themselves a junkyard and go to dirt school!.:laughing:

I think what also happens is that somebody removes a piece of trash and they don't thoroughly rescan the hole after they put it all back together.
The removed trash unmasks a good target. Or, some object that wasn't detected due to its orientation gets shifted when the dirt and plug is replaced and it's now more detectable by the next person.

I'll push back on the "every square inch has been detected." One acre has something like 6 million square inches. Even loud solid signals are only loud and solid after you manage to get your detector over them. Even in a trash free park I think you'd have to grid off sections to conclude it was picked clean.

Last week my yard gave up another silver Washington, and it was right out in the open. No surrounding trash and clear as can be from all angles. Yet, I've detected that part of my yard dozens of times. I was walking back to the house from the rear of the property and swinging casually as I went along.

Agreed, not every square inch is detected. Especially from the multiple angles required to find the goods among the trash. I have watched others swing and can see that they are missing ground. Something I'am guilty of doing. This kind of thing takes patience which I'am usually short due to time considerations.

This is a great subject! Hunting trash also teaches alternative coil manipulation techniques...like even on a 11"dd there is a sweet spot that acts like a sniper coil...you can hop coil or highfly it to try to isolate a good target when you have 3 others under the coil at the same time...

For me, in heavy trash, using the pinpoint button on the machine is No good...a guy can however 'hop coil' and shoot the signal straight down to isolate the good target out of a mess...That works really good! Even for tight multidenom spills!~

Plus in the trash, a guy has to think about the 'coil sweet spot' (about the size of a golfball), and cover the ground with tighter overlaps and constantly be circling the area from different directions and manipulating the coil sweep parameters...

Its entirely different than traditional sweeping a place with nice smooth arcs...especially when you are getting the staccato of multiple targets under coil at the same time...they can overload and overwhelm a rigs processors, so speed and focus is important...The big bummer is a guys ears and brain can only take so much of this mess in one outing, so having a place like this is good to go to when you are really fresh..you gotta really concentrate!

Its exhausting but a lot of fun to have a real trash field to hunt occasionally! I'd hate to have to do it everyday though..A guy sort of misses the mess when He's swinging down miles of open sand or farm field with nary a peep!

The skills learned hunting the trash are a Huge benefit, everybody needs to find themselves a junkyard and go to dirt school!.:laughing:

When you say "hop coil" is this putting the coil on edge with the toe(front or back) at the spot where you are trying to separate a good target from surrounding trash?

Back
Top Bottom