Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Default Last Dig of the Year

So yesterday I went out hoping that everything wouldn't be completely frozen and that I could get through the frozen ground and dig a bit. It was 50/50 with diggable vs. undiggable areas.

Here are some pictures of my finds. I did bring home a bunch that I would have left there earlier but I plan on setting up at a flea market so just adding stuff to the $1 box.

Few group shots and then shots of the things I thought were the coolest. The whiskey bottle just has a cool look to it, its a different color and has a trade mark label on the base I have to look up.

The insulator I took because normally they are brown and this one is definitely more green. The small jar is embossed with Free sample, the 2 sodas are local to me and I haven't foudn them before, the small amber vial has the original lid and says winthrop.

The big wine jug is embossed 1 gallon and has a bunch of grapes and leaves embossed. I was shocked that its in perfect condition.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Those are some very cool old bottles for sure..What do you do with all of them? Iím guessing like anything old some are probably worth a good bit of money.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Here are some finds from the other day at a new spot. This spot will be getting developed so I think I can get in there in the spring when they start digging and maybe there will be older stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

This is what I did take home. Nothing special but I will admit that the green bottle and the Kraft bottle both made my heart skip a beat because at first I thought they were cathedral bottles or whatever they are called. Also found a small heart shaped bottle (not pictured) that I gave to my daughter.

The spoon with the duck I thought was cool so I brought it home.

The only two bottles marked are the Kraft bottle next to the green one which has Kraft embossed in a few spots and the larger medicine which is a Henry K. Wampole & Company embossed bottle.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Those are some very cool old bottles for sure..What do you do with all of them? Iím guessing like anything old some are probably worth a good bit of money.
I'm just hoarding at the moment but I bet I have 700 bottles in my basement right now.

My plan is to go through them all again, pull out the ones I want to keep, figure out which ones might be worth selling individually, and then setting up at a flea market to try and blow out most of them. I figure $1 each for 90% of them will get rid of most of them but there are definitely a bunch that I figure 5 bucks each would still have them selling quickly.

Im brand new to this though

Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

Hey Jim, In pic #2 that paneled jar next to the insulator (with the fruit jar lid on top), is that a Barbasol Shave cream jar? Love those, also watch for the Palmolives and Burma-Shaves.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GLASSHOPPER1955 View post
Hey Jim, In pic #2 that paneled jar next to the insulator (with the fruit jar lid on top), is that a Barbasol Shave cream jar? Love those, also watch for the Palmolives and Burma-Shaves.
Yes it is, good eyes. This one the lid was toasted so I had to break it to get it off. I have another one too that is perfect and has the lid too

Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by yacorie View post
Yes it is, good eyes. This one the lid was toasted so I had to break it to get it off. I have another one too that is perfect and has the lid too
Those lids are usually rusted/corroded beyond saving, so that's good. In my current dump I dug a pair of ridged Salt & Pepper shakers but the tops were rusted beyond saving. The glass usually survives but nature takes its' toll on the metal stuff, like the conetop beer cans I dug. I guess that's what antique shops and flea markets are for, lol.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Supporter

Great saves and so interesting to look at. You got them nice and clean!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Supporter

Nice, I really like the olive colored flask.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...
They arrested him