Couer d'Alene Idaho??? 2 part Question??

wvdave107

Elite Member
I'm going to be in Coeur d' Alene for about a month for some training for work. Anyone from the area have suggestions where to hunt and/ or if it's worth flying my detector there with me????

Second part.....How about flying with your machine? Really afraid it may get damaged. Any suggestions on how to do this safely? Thought about boxing it up in the original packaging and having the wife overnight it then do the same on the return....Thoughts????

I'll be in class for 9-10hrs a day then another couple of hours of study time in the evenings. Not sure if I'll be able to hunt too much, if at all. So, I just want to make sure I can get my machine there and back with as little hassle as possible. Thanks for the input....HH

Last edited:
I took my AT Pro apart and put it in my carry-on this past Feb to AZ from Seattle. Made it safely through TSA there and back. Found my first piece of silver jewelry- a vintage jade ring- that fits my right hand ring finger, and I wear it every day now. So definitely worth it for me.

Who knows? Maybe you will find something remarkeable there. What detector is it might I ask? I fit almost everything for detecting in my carry-on, except the shovel and hand digger obviously.
8a58da349a36c3798e1b794a58bc3fd9.jpg

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

I took my AT Pro apart and put it in my carry-on this past Feb to AZ from Seattle. Made it safely through TSA there and back. Found my first piece of silver jewelry- a vintage jade ring- that fits my right hand ring finger, and I wear it every day now. So definitely worth it for me.

Who knows? Maybe you will find something remarkeable there. What detector is it might I ask? I fit almost everything for detecting in my carry-on, except the shovel and hand digger obviously.
8a58da349a36c3798e1b794a58bc3fd9.jpg

Mine is an ATP as well...The only issue with the carry-on route is I will have a couple of computers in tow and adding my detector will make it very cumbersome for a cross-country flight with a couple of layovers. I may be able to break it down and fit it into my checked bag but, I've seen first hand how checked bags are treated and I have my concerns...LOL

If you're worried about your detector being damaged, I'd suggest you wrap it in clothes (at least the control box and coil, the shafts should be ok) or bubble wrap. Should be relatively safe then.

You can always mail it ahead to yourself. Maype just the coil and control box with your digger. We have done this for items we didn’t want to bring on the plane in the past.

I used to visit relatives in the Cour d'alane/Post falls area as a kid. Any of the parks along the Spokane river are good potential hunting places. I spent a lot of time in Q'emiln park, falls park and black Bay park. The locals go there to cool off in the summer. These are great places to start and will offer both land and water hunting opportunities. As always, check local laws before detecting and good luck!

I used to visit relatives in the Cour d'alane/Post falls area as a kid. Any of the parks along the Spokane river are good potential hunting places. I spent a lot of time in Q'emiln park, falls park and black Bay park. The locals go there to cool off in the summer. These are great places to start and will offer both land and water hunting opportunities. As always, check local laws before detecting and good luck!
Nice. I have never been over there but I have friends in the area. Will keep this in mind.

I'm going to be in Coeur d' Alene for about a month for some training for work. Anyone from the area have suggestions where to hunt and/ or if it's worth flying my detector there with me????

Second part.....How about flying with your machine? Really afraid it may get damaged. Any suggestions on how to do this safely? Thought about boxing it up in the original packaging and having the wife overnight it then do the same on the return....Thoughts????

I'll be in class for 9-10hrs a day then another couple of hours of study time in the evenings. Not sure if I'll be able to hunt too much, if at all. So, I just want to make sure I can get my machine there and back with as little hassle as possible. Thanks for the input....HH

I travel regularly with my equipment. Just toss your headphones in your carry on. If you choose to put your main box in your bag, just make sure it’s WELL wrapped (I put a knee pad over the screen then wrap in jeans.). I once cracked an AT Pro screen when I put it next to some metal in my bag. Had no problems flying since using the knee pad cover over the face. Just make sure all lithium batteries are in your carry-on.

Cheers!

One more thing you probably didn’t consider. You’ll have PLENTY of daylight after class. It stays light until about 10pm right now.

Cheers!

Well, after several days of debate with myself and some last minute agenda changes, I've decide not to take the ATP on this trip. I'm sure I will regret it. It's just not feasible for this one. Just not going to have the time or room now :(. The problem is, I'm not going to get a chance to hunt until sometime in Sept....:( Thanks to all for the replies...HH

Back
Top Bottom