Beginner's guide to scrapping your non-precious metal finds for $$$

I have two 5 gallon buckets, one for copper and one for brass. I also do the file test and then separate into the appropriate bucket. I probably make $50-100 a year on copper and brass. Definitely worth keeping.

Hmm looks good however there are various grades of stainless steel some magnetic some not, both contain nickel and have value. I have found some pretty large chunks of stainless in the past (generally recognizable as kitchen ware), you might be tossing something of value just because it's sticky, and your little scratch test on soft silver metal could fool you into thinking it was just lead when it could be something like silver solder. :hmmm::hmmm:

Also even though it's not a valuable metal it should still be recycled just tossing it in the trash is really a bad idea for the environment. Just take it along with the good stuff to the recycler and donate it or let them weigh it up.:my2cents: yes 2cents is about what you will get for the junk metal :lol:

I wish out scrap prices were like that... We get $1.60/lb for copper and .60 for brass...

iron isn't even worth saving... a 5 gallon bucket might be worth 0.75

If you follow these questions, you should end up with the right ID on your metal you have dug up..

Tools needed- A strong magnet, and a flat file is best but a roofing nail will work..

1- Highly magnetic? yes= 2, No= 3
2- Throw it away or give it away, it is ferrous (contains iron), it will take a whole truck load to pay for the gas to get it to the scrap yard.
3- Scratch or file it, is it silver colored? Yes= 4, No= 7
4- Is it really light weight? Yes= 5, No= 6
5- Does it scratch easy with a steel nail? Yes= Aluminum No= Titanium
6- Does it scratch easy with a steel nail? Yes= Lead No= Zinc
7- Is it copper colored? Yes= Copper No= 8
8- Is it gold colored and slightly magnetic? Yes= Bronze No= 9
9- Is it gold colored and not magnetic at all? Yes= Brass

OK, I really liked this. Thanks for doing it. I figured I would finally make a contribution to this forum, and I converted it to a basic flowchart format. I think it makes it simpler to follow. If I messed anything up, please let me know and I'll fix it and repost!

HH! And scrapping!;)

Rich

Just found this old post, and I had to bump it - awesome and easy method for a relative noob like myself to quickly sort through my “junk” metal. I’ve been interested in scrapping copper from the beginning - I’ve been amazed at how much copper I dig! While searching the forum to see what other folks do with their copper, I ran across this thread and started thinking that it might be worth scrapping some of the other stuff too. Copper and brass were pretty easy to identify, but I had no idea how to easily differentiate some of the other metals until now! Looks like I’ll be sorting all my junk metal for scrap from now on - even an extra $20 bucks or so is as good as I did all year in clad! I’m just sorry it took me so long to find this info - I literally just pitched several pounds of “junk” last week because it was taking up too much space :facepalm:

Anyway, thanks so much Ice for putting this out there a few years ago, and I’ll be printing samandnoah’s flow chart graphic and posting it above my finds bench in the garage for quick reference!

And hopefully the bump will be useful for some of the other new guys like me :yes:

This was a very helpful write up

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

Anyway, thanks so much Ice for putting this out there a few years ago, and I’ll be printing samandnoah’s flow chart graphic and posting it above my finds bench in the garage for quick reference!

And hopefully the bump will be useful for some of the other new guys like me :yes:

AT, glad you found this thread useful!

Good to see it bumped and making another round!

Good luck to all!

<°)))>{

Hmm looks good however there are various grades of stainless steel some magnetic some not, both contain nickel and have value. I have found some pretty large chunks of stainless in the past (generally recognizable as kitchen ware), you might be tossing something of value just because it's sticky, and your little scratch test on soft silver metal could fool you into thinking it was just lead when it could be something like silver solder. :hmmm::hmmm:

Also even though it's not a valuable metal it should still be recycled just tossing it in the trash is really a bad idea for the environment. Just take it along with the good stuff to the recycler and donate it or let them weigh it up.:my2cents: yes 2cents is about what you will get for the junk metal :lol:

All good points, but my post was based on the rule, not some possible rare exception..

<°)))>{

I can't believe that it's been three years since I commented on this post. So many holes since then and so much junk dug up and still sitting in buckets in my garage waiting for me to sort them out. Oh well. Some day I'll get to it. I am surprised though at the amounts of lead I dig up and not bullets or fishing sinkers although there's been a few of each. A lot of odd shaped hunks and most are a couple ounces or more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Scrapping was fun when prices were up. Lot of work but we made hundreds just on scrap alone.

Now I live in a state where the price of aluminum cans includes a deposit so you HAVE to recycle to get that deposit back. And finding aluminum cans is rare. No free and easy cash there anymore. :(

Yeah. Scrapping was fun when prices were up. Lot of work but we made hundreds just on scrap alone.

Now I live in a state where the price of aluminum cans includes a deposit so you HAVE to recycle to get that deposit back. And finding aluminum cans is rare. No free and easy cash there anymore. :(

Thats an interesting point..theres been a major shift here in MI on the general Summertime beach cannage haul this season...I was lamenting with another old cannie this very morning....4:30 am and Wheres all the cans? Seems the Beach cleaners are doing a late night sweep N mop of the popular beaches, emptying out the trash cans even...damnedest thing! So a guy has to go rummage around at midnight or thereabouts? To beat the County or City paid BeachCleaners and trashcan dumpers? Those are dangerous hours for a guy to be out just hunting for cans...Even at a dime per...Those are some dangerous hours to be out and running around...:mad:

Look on the bright side; if most of the cans aren't being discarded where they were used, that's less canslaw for you to cuss in the future.

I’ve have two five gallon buckets full of Iron scrap had to start a third becuse I relized I can hardly pick them up now

I have been separating my brass coppers and lead for the past couple years and have five gallon buckets full. One of these days I'll cash them in or when I cash out my wife will spend at Red Lobster.:laughing:

I scrap all my metal out, last year I got $99 bucks.....I have no idea why people throw this stuff out!

If I need to separate, clean and horde scrap, and then make a car or truck trip to a recycler, it simply becomes not worth my overall time. I basically quit saving any metals long ago, and I would be embarrassed to say how many empty beer cans I create in one week. I used to save those for recycle but ain't sold any in 20 years or more. I will admit that I have a collection of copper plumbing finds over a decade of hunting. but those are more of an eye sore and clutters the house up. I just ain't ready to WORK, except for real treasure finds. jm2c

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen any cannies out in months. Michigan 10c deposit.
I suppose nowadays it pays better to sit on the couch.

Back
Top Bottom