Amazing early Montana Detecting! Morgan Silver Dollar, 34 Silvers!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
First of all, it is amazing that there is still unfrozen ground in some areas of Montana. I am very grateful to have a chance to detect so soon in 2021!

My friend Jason, from Helena (uses Nox 800), was able to get out on Saturday Jan 2nd and he pulled out NINE silvers in one day in a nearby small town. He also found a really cool Pendleton Oregon Saddle manufacturer advertising piece, one of the nicest finds I've seen that was not a coin. The first three pics show finds from that trip. What a great start of the year for him!

Thanks to his phone call about the warm weather area, I headed out of Hamilton Montana on Monday the 4th toward the north east central part of the state, where the temps have been in the 40's and even low 50's this last week or two. I was to detect a couple of days on my own, and he would join me on Wednesday the 6th. This first day of detecting was good, I found 6 Silvers with the AT Pro, all dimes, plus the 50th Anniversary Westinghouse 1936 coin, a cool Alaska Totem medallion, and a beautiful 1905-06 H.F.C.C. medallion, in Sterling Silver, any help appreciated on the history behind this item. On Tuesday I headed out again, and did well... 5 Silvers, all dimes, and the usual ton of clad and lots of wheat cents. Coins were all over the place, many of the silvers came out within 6" of a sidewalk or curb edge, and I did get a few good permissions, though many people were not home.

Jason was able to join me yesterday, Wednesday the 6th, and we had a Stellar Day detecting together. We started out in one neighborhood of 1940's cottages, and the detecting was really poor, just a couple of wheats and some Nosey Nellies who made it a point to make us their business. After checking the curb strips in that block, we headed east to the 1940's neighborhood that I had detected the previous day. This proved to be a good decision as all of our finds came from a couple block area there. I started the show with 3 Silver Rosies from one partially frozen yard, one pic shows that, and my friend got on the board with a couple of silver dimes and a Canadian Silver quarter. The next yard produced 2 more Silver Rosies for me, and and a silver dime and 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar for my friend! The coin rang up a steady 35-36 on the Nox, he was wondering if it might be a brass hose nozzle, but knowing how shallow the old coins were in this part of town, he dug it and popped out a Silver Dollar! We were both very happy and excited about that, and all these finds were in 1940's yards or the front curb strips. The next yard and curb strip gave 3 silver dimes for Jason, bringing him to 8 for the day, and I partially caught up when I pulled a Merc and Silver Rosie out of the curb strip to give me 7 silvers.

I caught the owner across the street and secured permission there, my side of the yard produced the 1944 Silver quarter to make us even at 8 each, but then Jason went on a Silver Streak and I was left in the dust! My friend's side produced a couple more Silver Dimes. A couple more yard permissions gave him 5 more silvers, making a record of 15 SILVERS in one day! My best ever in four years of detecting was 13 silvers, so he claimed that championship belt! I told him he ought to hang that Nox over the fireplace and retire from detecting! :lol: Of course all these yards were producing modern clad and wheat cents. We ended up with 34 Silvers from one area of town, I got 19 over the course of three days, and he found 15 in one day!

Pics show Jason's finds, then my finds. I am thankful for such good detecting results, and wish everyone a better 2021 and happy hunting! Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• silvers9.jpg
    silvers9.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 927
  • silvers10.jpg
    silvers10.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 923
  • silvers11.jpg
    silvers11.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 938
  • silvers8.jpg
    silvers8.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 955
  • silvers7.jpg
    silvers7.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 938
  • silvers4.jpg
    silvers4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 903
  • silvers3.jpg
    silvers3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 917
  • silvers2.jpg
    silvers2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 919
  • silvers6.jpg
    silvers6.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 938
  • silvers1.jpg
    silvers1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 950
  • silvers5.jpg
    silvers5.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
pic of wheats and modern coins

I ended up with 90 wheat cents from the 3 days of detecting, plus a TON of clad. I found only 7 nickels as I was pretty much chasing copper and silver and passed over most all of the mid tones unless I was pretty positive I had a nickel.

Attachments

• wheats.jpg
    wheats.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 944
Double Wow! Congrats to you and your detecting buddy. I guess that shows there is plenty of silver still out there. Just need to get out there and get it. My good buddy found 20 silver coins in just one afternoon by himself a little over 2 years ago. I posted about it on here. Of course he has not duplicated it since, but it can still happen.

Holy Fri-oly David....you and your friend absolutely slayed it!!! Happy *Silver* New Year! Now you have me wondering if all of the "cold" and "snowy" weather is really a smoke screen for all of the silver you are boggarting over there :roll::lol:.

Super big congrats again on another epic series of hunts in Montana....I guess that makes a grand total of 4 Morgan silver dollars you have witnessed over the last 4-5 months right (1 of which was yours)?

You have me itching to run east to link up with you again, weather be "dam*'ed".

Congrats again!!

Wow what a few days you guys had! I always wonder what the curb strips out here could cough up, but I seem to always pick the ones with nothing good in them :laughing: congrats, and good luck for the rest of 2021!

Big congratulations on the amazing collection of finds David. Not even the middle of January and you already have 19 silvers. Keep it up and you'll blow last year's total out early this year. Looks like the warm weather may continue for a while. Hope you can take advantage of it again. By the way, great write up and pictures.

Double Wow! Congrats to you and your detecting buddy. I guess that shows there is plenty of silver still out there. Just need to get out there and get it. My good buddy found 20 silver coins in just one afternoon by himself a little over 2 years ago. I posted about it on here. Of course he has not duplicated it since, but it can still happen.

Thank you longbow! Yes, there is plenty of silver out there still, we detected a 1940's area and lots of Silver Rosies and Mercs were there to be found!

Holy Fri-oly David....you and your friend absolutely slayed it!!! Happy *Silver* New Year! Now you have me wondering if all of the "cold" and "snowy" weather is really a smoke screen for all of the silver you are boggarting over there :roll::lol:.

Super big congrats again on another epic series of hunts in Montana....I guess that makes a grand total of 4 Morgan silver dollars you have witnessed over the last 4-5 months right (1 of which was yours)?

You have me itching to run east to link up with you again, weather be "dam*'ed".

Congrats again!!

Thank you Paul! Yep... just like "it always rains in Seattle" we have the "Frozen Snowy state of Montana, where you have to fight off Wolves and Grizzly Bears just to go to the grocery store!" Hope you can head this way when you can make it! And yes, that is 5 Morgan Silver Dollars in the last months... Jason with 1880 CC, you with the 1902-O, Gale with the 1921, my 1882-S, and now Jason's 1921-P.

That was an amazing hunt! A morgan dollar?!?

Thank you SmirkAtTheMerc! Twas a good hunt for sure!

Wow what a few days you guys had! I always wonder what the curb strips out here could cough up, but I seem to always pick the ones with nothing good in them :laughing: congrats, and good luck for the rest of 2021!

Thank you cellrdwellr! I do think curb strips, and of course private yards should produce anywhere in the USA.

Big congratulations on the amazing collection of finds David. Not even the middle of January and you already have 19 silvers. Keep it up and you'll blow last year's total out early this year. Looks like the warm weather may continue for a while. Hope you can take advantage of it again. By the way, great write up and pictures.

Thanks Gale! I may be able to get out again next week, we have a bit of snow but then warming up again into the low 50's mid next week.

Wow what a series of hunts! Virgin ground is so hard to come by and you two nailed it. I'd kill to just have a 3 silver day here in AZ...

So...slow start to this year for ya?
So many great finds! :shock: I am reminded of the one time I dug an impressive 27 or 28 wheat pennies in a single day. Here you got 90 in 3 days!

Now I am curious about that silver pendant with H.F.C.C on it. (maybe Henry Ford ...?) I see it has English hallmarks, so it was imported. Nice to have the date too.

Wow what a series of hunts! Virgin ground is so hard to come by and you two nailed it. I'd kill to just have a 3 silver day here in AZ...

Thank you Jersey Digger! I've had hunts where even one silver would make my day!

So...slow start to this year for ya?
So many great finds! :shock: I am reminded of the one time I dug an impressive 27 or 28 wheat pennies in a single day. Here you got 90 in 3 days!

Now I am curious about that silver pendant with H.F.C.C on it. (maybe Henry Ford ...?) I see it has English hallmarks, so it was imported. Nice to have the date too.

Thank you Foragist! I guess it is a good start to the year when the ground is usually locked up like a brick. I did stop in Missoula on my way out of town, and there will be no detecting there till March, that soil was solidly frozen. I wish I knew more about that Silver Pendant too, I think it may be a local Montana reference but I just don't know.

Amazing and congrats to you both! A real treat for my eyes to feast upon.

Thank you JAK, glad you like the story and pics!

Congrats on the morgan and all the other silvers. I found the same Westinghouse token a few years back, and I had never seen another one until now. Great finds, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom