I'm getting a PI Dual Field Pro soon--where do I hunt first!?

Kiyote

I can either hunt the beaches of San Francisco or a creek at a park that once was park of an 1870s Kiln that' close to my house. Where would I likely have the most luck!?

Hard to predict but the beach would be a good place to practice. If you can get any signals in the wet sand you may want to hunt there. You should dig all signals to learn what they sound like but pay very close attention to the difference in them. You are going to dig a lot of trash but usually less in the wet sand by the water. Patience and determination are key! Good Luck!

Hard to predict but the beach would be a good place to practice. If you can get any signals in the wet sand you may want to hunt there. You should dig all signals to learn what they sound like but pay very close attention to the difference in them. You are going to dig a lot of trash but usually less in the wet sand by the water. Patience and determination are key! Good Luck!

The Lakes, Beach or Wets sand

Having hunted fresh water lakes here in Texas, I do know that, had I a PI machine, I'd go crazy.

Work the beaches to get a feel for your machine. Learn the differnet sounds it makes on targets. Then venture to the fresh water and park.

If you started in the park, I think you would dig so much iron and junk that you might give up detecting out of frustration before you had a chance to hit the beach.

When I get to the beach I hunt with my BHID in all metal. In the lakes I hunt in Disc. and switch back and forth between the two when pinpointing.

Coolwhips :cool:

I can either hunt the beaches of San Francisco or a creek at a park that once was park of an 1870s Kiln that' close to my house. Where would I likely have the most luck!?

Hey! I have hunted those Lime Kilns with a VLF (MXT). I don't think that the PI would do you much good there seeing that you wont have any Discrimination. I found an old dump that produced some super old steel(?) painted root beer cans and a 1902 bottle of bitters(was next to a can). Along with some old cutlery and stuff, I also got a bit of coinage that was recent. I ran into an old man that found a coin purse up there next to a tree and it had gold and silver coins in it!! He said it was 23 inches down. He was using the old-skool xlt.....

I am waiting on my first PI machine(the predecessor to your machine, PI pro). Should be here by Tues-Wed next week. The natural place for most waterproof PI machines is in the wet sand at the beach. That's where you will find me anyway!

Good luck, maybe i'll see you on the sand some day.

Peace,

Z

Having hunted fresh water lakes here in Texas, I do know that, had I a PI machine, I'd go crazy.

Work the beaches to get a feel for your machine. Learn the differnet sounds it makes on targets. Then venture to the fresh water and park.

If you started in the park, I think you would dig so much iron and junk that you might give up detecting out of frustration before you had a chance to hit the beach.

When I get to the beach I hunt with my BHID in all metal. In the lakes I hunt in Disc. and switch back and forth between the two when pinpointing.

Coolwhips :cool:

I agree with Whippy here.. no way I am taking my PI in iron infested spots... salt water beaches hunt close to the water or in it with the PI and use a VLF up the slope and on the dry stuff...I do hunt freshwater with my PI but I know the area's and the bottom make up and know the trash has already been cleaned out... otherwise its VLF territory..

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Zimatosa, I've found wheat cents (including a 1913-S) at the Kiln area not 50ft from the main trailhead sign-- it's still a great area to hunt. That's amazing about that coin purse-- wow!

Back
Top Bottom