I Was Suckered!

penneyrich

Hi All, I must confess that I fell victim to the commercialization of metal detecting. In my zeal to get the "coolest and latest" gear, I purchased a new finds bag from Gray Ghost (Ultimate Catch All Bag). I spent 40 bucks on the bag. I figured that this bag would make my time in the field more enjoyable and efficient. Boy was I wrong. I was immediately disappointed in the quality of the bag. The material the bag was made from looks and feels cheap and the bottom of the bag is a thin mesh that doesn't look like it will stand up to many sharp trash objects that are dug up. The pin pointer gets caught on the sleeve when you try to place it in and the end of the pin pointer goes all the way in making it tricky to grab from the head of the pointer. I am using a Garrett Pin Pointer 2. I wish now that I would have saved my money and stuck to what I was using before. I was using a nylon carpenters nail bag that I already had and I modified one side to attach the pin pointer case that came with the pointer. It worked fine and will stand up to any sharp objects. I guess I learned a valuable lesson that the latest and greatest "shiny" thing is not always the best. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope this will be of some use to all the folks just getting into the hobby. HAPPY HUNTING!

Theres this guy who goes by freeloader who makes custom bags, top notch quality. The only thing that has held up to my abuse so far. I went through 2 whites bags and a garrett bag before I got this. I have the pack mule from him but he offers a few different options. They are heavy duty at a competitive price of other bags on the market.

I'm still using the pouch that came with the AT Max. I have to empty it sometimes mid-hunt, but it is plenty spacious enough for my needs. I like the shallow zippered pocket inside the main pouch...that is where I stow coins and interesting targets. I'll admit that I even throw rings and jewelry in there, although I need a padded hard case for that stuff. I'm ruled by inertia...my method works well enough as it is, so why change it up? I definitely ain't spending $40 for a bag to put (mostly) trash in.

Sorry to hear that. You can always go back to what you were using. Also check the "Make It/Fix It" thread and see what others use. I still use mostly stuff I made a long time ago (except for the TRX pointer) because I kinda like "making do" with existing tools.

Yes Glasshopper you are wise! I usually get more satisfaction with using something I made or re-purposed. I had a moment of weakness and now have buyer's remorse.

It just sickens me with the !!!! that is being pushed off as "quality" these days. I hunt and fish a lot and the same goes with those hobbies. Hunting especially. I see the metal detecting you tube videos starting to go the same way as the hunting "shows" that are no more than program length commercials. Makes me want to puke! It tarnishes the traditions and values that are ingrained in these hobbies. It should be about time spent with friends and family with memories made and not about selling you some gadget.

Pouches

I use a unbranded pouch that looks like the Minelab pouch Two sides for pinpointers ..Modified one side for a screwdriver and a sheath for my digger
Small but big enough .. lots of garbage cans at the parks to dump the trash

Zeess ... My hunting buddies have pouches .. That got to way a ton ..Big and bucky .. Imagine having to get up and down from the knees having it on your sides

I went with a Walmart tool belt, even has a built in magnet in the smaller pocket. Only $17 and it’s pretty sturdy. I use a medicine bottle for my coins, helps keep things separate. It’s not the best pouch or anywhere near it lol, but it beats the electricians pouch I was using.

00aefa0d0efa7d30f51b4160858a14f8.jpg

fc65a606f1217c2fd1732c54e8e63db4.jpg

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

I still use my pockets for my finds.Just turn the pockets inside out before putting em in the washer and I’m good to go

My wife would slaughter me lol

My wife would slaughter me lol

Yep, I used to use my pockets all the time but mum kept getting angry at me that the washing machine was always full of sand :laughing:

So now I use a finds pouch, saves me a bit of drama

Modify that baby! Reinforce the bottom with some stiff plastic, allowing for dirt drainage to the mesh below. Custom mount a holster for your pinpointer, the way YOU like it.
This advice is, of course, in the case you don't return it. (return that baby!)

I won a brand new finds bag in the Member's Contests forum. I was looking forward to modifying it to my liking, but the guy totally ghosted me, and never sent it. No reply. He quit posting altogether about a week after the contest ended. Oh well. :roll:

I'm still using the pouch that came with the AT Max. I have to empty it sometimes mid-hunt, but it is plenty spacious enough for my needs. I like the shallow zippered pocket inside the main pouch...that is where I stow coins and interesting targets. I'll admit that I even throw rings and jewelry in there, although I need a padded hard case for that stuff. I'm ruled by inertia...my method works well enough as it is, so why change it up? I definitely ain't spending $40 for a bag to put (mostly) trash in.

That Garrett finds pouch is great, Iv'e been using mine for three years now and it's holding up just fine. I carry my digger and pointer in it too. Best part is the price, I recently bought another to have as a backup and it cost me $11

Unfortunately that seems to be the case for majority of stuff produced today. Poor quality so that it doesn't last.

Back
Top Bottom