Mercury dimes

dan

Elite Member

Nudity! Murder! Suicide! And sixty-five years in an insane asylum! All of these things are involved in the lurid story of … the Mercury dime?

Did you know that the first nude movie actress in Hollywood posed for at least one, probably two, United States coins?

Did you know that the portrait on the Mercury dime is not only NOT the Roman god Mercury, it isn't even a male?

Did you know that the real Mercury had wings on his sandals, not his head?

And do you know what mythical character appeared on more United States coins than all other subjects (presidents, statesmen, historical figures) combined?

You'll know all that and more after you listen to my latest podcast.

It's short - about four minutes - and it's at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

With all the designs of the Dime I find I like the Mercury the most. My next most favorite coins has to be the Walking Lib Half Dollar then Indian Head Pennies and Bufflo Nickels. All the rest fall in place as nice find but not as exciting to find for me . I have developed into a different kind of detectorist over the years. I gave my son and grandkids my silver rings I found and some junk ones too. I have my coins but they are not so important to me anymore .

I just enjoy getting out and finding things. Nobody in the family is as interested in the coins as I once was. For me getting older has caused my interest in coins to drop. I think it is the reality of the silver coins aren't worht all that much . If I was finding coins worth $50.00 and up maybe I would be more interested in my finds. My best coin is a 1866 Indian Head Penny worth maybe $60.00. All the rest of my old coins are worth I am guessing 3 cents up to $9.50 for my 1894 Indian Head Penny. I have a 1914 worth $3.00 the reast of the wheats I have are worth 3 cents each. Maybe if I put the wheats in a book and collected them I would have more interest in them again. For me Metal Detecting is all about getting a good work out , being healthier and doing something that holds my interest for more than a few minutes.
M6 Mike

Interesting about merc dime.

Personally I think the merc dimes are kinda ugly but thier silver I keep um I have several.
Seated dimes are my favorites I have two I found and to me there part of the main element in my display case,But thats just my opinion.
I'll scuff up every merc I can.

Yes, but have you ever heard any treasure hunter call it that? I'd say that to 99.9% of the populace, it's a Mercury dime.

Duh. It became know as the mercury dime soon after it was minted. It is due to the wings being known with the Greek god. Also the fasces and olive branch on the back are know to be carried by the Hierarchy in the Greek ranks back in the days of Caesar.

It is due to the wings being known with the Greek god. Also the fasces and olive branch on the back are know to be carried by the Hierarchy in the Greek ranks back in the days of Caesar.

Roman, not Greek, in both cases.

The fasces is a bundle of sticks (harder to break a bundle than just one = "strength through unity". The protruding axe and the wrapped olive branches symbolize desire for peace, but readiness for war.

And did you know that the Fascist party took its name from the fasces?

Roman, not Greek, in both cases.

The fasces is a bundle of sticks (harder to break a bundle than just one = "strength through unity". The protruding axe and the wrapped olive branches symbolize desire for peace, but readiness for war.

And did you know that the Fascist party took its name from the fasces?

Sorry meant Roman. Lol

Nudity! Murder! Suicide! And sixty-five years in an insane asylum! All of these things are involved in the lurid story of … the Mercury dime?

Did you know that the first nude movie actress in Hollywood posed for at least one, probably two, United States coins?

No.

Did you know that the portrait on the Mercury dime is not only NOT the Roman god Mercury, it isn't even a male?

What Mercury Dime? Do you mean the Winged Liberty Dime?

Did you know that the real Mercury had wings on his sandals, not his head?

Of course.

I suspect that the Winged Liberty has wings on her head to symbolized freedom of thought? Kind of ironic considering a Roman Magistrate's Fasces is on the back, symbolizing authority and control. The axe was probably used for executions, and the bundle of sticks represent strength. All this at a time of the birth of communism in Russia? I think it also has a history with unions which were probably wildly popular at the time, having just curbed the dominance of the tycoons at that time?

And do you know what mythical character appeared on more United States coins than all other subjects (presidents, statesmen, historical figures) combined?

The same one, Liberty?

You'll know all that and more after you listen to my latest podcast.

Thanks for the podcast. I enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom