Well My Battle Plan Worked - Seated Quarter

beephead

Elite Member
Getting skunked on my previous hunt got me to thinking and planning. How the heck did I find all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. Even with all the EMI that I was contending with, I was still finding wheat pennies, so I should have found silver coins as well. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my search coil over a silver coin.

Today's plan of attack was to rig my CTX 3030 with the 6 inch search coil and use my HF search coil on my Deus. I figured the smaller search coil and higher frequency search coil would handle the EMI better, which they did.

I got an early start this morning to beat the heat and rush hour traffic. When I got there instead of starting the yard that I previously detected, I decided to detect the curb strip across the street with my CTX. I've been over that area a dozen times, but not with CTX with the 6 inch search coil.

My very first audio response didn't sound smooth and the ID was showing maybe at best a wheat penny near some iron. It was super shallow, maybe three inches or so deep. I was thinking maybe it could be fresh dropped silver ring. When I flipped the plug over out pops a 1877 Seated Quarter. Now that's a nice way to start the day out.

I put up the CTX and got out the Deus and walked across the street to the yard where I found all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. My very first target was 1962 Rosie dime. How I missed that on my last hunt is beyond me. I've only been hunting about 15 to 20 minutes and have two silvers.

For the rest of the hunt, which didn't last too long, I found a couple tokens, some clad and a few wheat pennies. It was getting to be around 10 o'clock and it was beginning to heat up, so I headed for the house.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 491
Great quarter and great condition for its age! Glad you were able to find it! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Great finds

Getting skunked on my previous hunt got me to thinking and planning. How the heck did I find all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. Even with all the EMI that I was contending with, I was still finding wheat pennies, so I should have found silver coins as well. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my search coil over a silver coin.

Today's plan of attack was to rig my CTX 3030 with the 6 inch search coil and use my HF search coil on my Deus. I figured the smaller search coil and higher frequency search coil would handle the EMI better, which they did.

I got an early start this morning to beat the heat and rush hour traffic. When I got there instead of starting the yard that I previously detected, I decided to detect the curb strip across the street with my CTX. I've been over that area a dozen times, but not with CTX with the 6 inch search coil.

My very first audio response didn't sound smooth and the ID was showing maybe at best a wheat penny near some iron. It was super shallow, maybe three inches or so deep. I was thinking maybe it could be fresh dropped silver ring. When I flipped the plug over out pops a 1877 Seated Quarter. Now that's a nice way to start the day out.

I put up the CTX and got out the Deus and walked across the street to the yard where I found all those wheat pennies and not a single silver coin. My very first target was 1962 Rosie dime. How I missed that on my last hunt is beyond me. I've only been hunting about 15 to 20 minutes and have two silvers.

For the rest of the hunt, which didn't last too long, I found a couple tokens, some clad and a few wheat pennies. It was getting to be around 10 o'clock and it was beginning to heat up, so I headed for the house.

beephead
I love silver in the pocket at the end of the day
Funny thing last month I found the same thing with the CTX , got lucky mint mark CC
great job

Congrats on the seated quarter and Rosie! Finds like that right off the bat really gets the adrenaline pumping!

Awesome quarter! Congrats!
Thanks! I'm really surprised that I found it at a 1920's site. I've found 2 Walkers, several Buffalo nickels and 2 SLQs in the same general area.

Great quarter and great condition for its age! Glad you were able to find it! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Thanks! It sure surprised me when it popped out the ground.

Great hunt and your Trash to Coin ratio is like 50/50 which is Damn good IMHO
Thanks! My trash ratio would have been even better if I hadn't trying for a gold ring every once in awhile.

I love silver in the pocket at the end of the day
Funny thing last month I found the same thing with the CTX , got lucky mint mark CC
great job
Thanks! Yeah, I looked for the CC, but no such luck.

That seated is a keeper!
Thanks! I wonder what a quarter back in 1877 would buy?

Fantastic job on that quarter! You had exactly the right setup to get that one, sounds like! :cool:
Thanks! That CTX keeps amazing me. I know that I worked that grassy area numerous times though the years and I missed a 3 inch deep Seated quarter. Now it did have some iron grunts around it that masking it some.

Congrats on the seated quarter and Rosie! Finds like that right off the bat really gets the adrenaline pumping!
Thanks! Finding it right off sure takes the pressure off so that I can enjoy the rest of the hunt.

Wow! Awesome find buddy!
Thanks! I'm a happy camper.

Nice way to shake off that skunk, Congrats on the seated and the rosie!
Thanks! I knew that there had to be at least one silver coin after digging all those wheat pennies.

Nice Seated Quarter you dug there.
Thanks! After finding 4 Walkers, a Seated dime and 4 SLQs so far this year along with the usual silver coins, the Seated quarter was the icing on cake as far as the coins go. It's still not my best find for the year. I've been lucky!

beephead

Seated Quarter

If only that quarter could talk. Looks like it has been well traveled and seen plenty of transactions. Congratulations on another successful hunt. Keep up the good work !!:D

OK...OK...I see why you go over everything with multiple options on multiple machines. Got me thinking about a couple places to use my small coil. That smooth seated quarter had a good hiding spot in plain sight, so to speak. Good job on working through or around the mask!

Loved the new battle attack Beephead. Guess after today's results I'll bet you feel you won the war. Congrats on the Seated Quarter and the Rosie. Trapper

Very nice beep! Looks like it wasn't very deep either

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was only about 3 inches deep. Deep iron on both sides of it.

Congrats on the seated 1/4 Beep! Nice looking curbs there too! Wow!
Thanks! Yeah I love those old man formed curbs.

Glad you were able to get be back on track with the seated quarter!!! Congrats on the great hunt.
Thanks! I wasn't expecting a Seated from that area

If only that quarter could talk. Looks like it has been well traveled and seen plenty of transactions. Congratulations on another successful hunt. Keep up the good work !!:D
Thanks! That quarter was worth a lot to someone back in 1877.

OK...OK...I see why you go over everything with multiple options on multiple machines. Got me thinking about a couple places to use my small coil. That smooth seated quarter had a good hiding spot in plain sight, so to speak. Good job on working through or around the mask!
Thanks! Different ground conditions, wet or dry changes a lot. Sometimes the angle you sweep the search coil at a target makes a big difference. Different size search coils make a difference. That why I like going back over sites with different detectors. Sometimes I just scratch my head when I find a good target in area that I've been over several times before, especially when I can't find any masking. Maybe whatever was masking it got moved when a lawnmower or leaf blower went over it. Who knows?

Loved the new battle attack Beephead. Guess after today's results I'll bet you feel you won the war. Congrats on the Seated Quarter and the Rosie. Trapper
Thanks! When you get skunked you need to try something different.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom