• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Detector - Minelab 800

BennyV

Hello All,

I’m looking to pull the trigger on a new detector. I have an old whites detector from about 20 years ago that I tried to do a hunt with yesterday and realized it is basically useless. I was kind of bummed out because my grandfather lost his initial ring there and I know the area has never been hunted. So it’s still in the ground. I’m thinking Minelab 800 based on reviews I have read and the opinions on this site.

A. Where can I find a good deal?
B. Do I also need to buy a pinpointer?
C. Anything I need to know about this detector before I buy it? i.e. Tips, tricks, shortfalls etc.

Thanks!

Might I suggest the equivalent equinox 600? Save a little cash, most dont even use the added program or settings the 800 offers. The sponsors here will take care of you. You can usually get what you need for less than retail, which isnt the case with most places. Also, the minelab vanquish Is a very good detector for the price, and they have a holiday special going on right now, where you get the pinpointer free with the detector purchase. The vanquish is Multi-IQ which is the same as the equinox. I would absolutely buy a good pinpointer. It will save you alot of time and frustration for sure. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Here's a link to a sponsor offering the minelab holiday bundles:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=286103

I think the most important question is B.... and the answer is YES you really need a pinpointer. The amount of time and effort saved on each target retrieval is huge. And saving time means you dig more targets per session which increases your odds of finding the goodies.

I'll also agree with cellrdwellr on the Equinox 600. I have one have it is a great machine. It will do almost everything the 800 will do. I think the only feature I miss is being able to save profiles but its just not that big a deal. Now if you can get a good deal on a bundle with the 800 go for it.

Where to get the best deal? Hit up the forum sponsors and CALL them and ask what kind of deal they can work on an Equinox bundle for you. Minelab has a minimum advertised price but the dealers have some flexibility to work with you on price so the phone call to a dealer is your best bet.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom