Lake Tahoe outing found NASA....

pacer

lapel pin and made new Japanese friends. Our club, Reno Prospecting and Detecting club had a outing at Lake Tahoe yesterday. I found 65 coins, none of any real value, other than face value totaling $4.65. My Nox had absolutely no issue handling the extreme Black sand on the beach. The "NASA" lapel pin put a big smile on my face. In addition, while retrieving a target, I looked up and noticed I had a group of 4 Japanese spectators watching me. They were a great group of guys. Really interested in what I was doing and asked great questions. Each one of them wanted a photo with me individually and asked if they could hold my Nox. Should have seen the big smile on their faces when I accommodated them. All in all, a great day hunting up at the lake.

Attachments

• Zephyr Nasa 9-21-18.jpg
    Zephyr Nasa 9-21-18.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 563
  • Zephyr coins 9-21-18.jpg
    Zephyr coins 9-21-18.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 556
  • Zephys 9-21-18 Japenese.jpg
    Zephys 9-21-18 Japenese.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 547
  • Zephyr 9-21-18 GJ.jpg
    Zephyr 9-21-18 GJ.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 548
  • Zephyr 9-21-18me.jpg
    Zephyr 9-21-18me.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 538
:dingding: Pretty cool of you to be a good ambassador. Like that NASA pin too!

Looks like the woods there in the pic. KB drives my detector into noisy mode.

Looks like some fun, lots of clad and no jewelry, man those depositors have to start getting with the program!

Nice work tbw!

Nice pin find! I found a back side before but no front except a surface find (not detecting) at work. Such a nice place to hunt. I was there a few years ago prior to detecting to visit family. I love the people that find it cool to be a detectorist...the few that are out there.

Nice pin find! I found a back side before but no front except a surface find (not detecting) at work. Such a nice place to hunt. I was there a few years ago prior to detecting to visit family. I love the people that find it cool to be a detectorist...the few that are out there.

Yes, the Japanese guys were really excited to have come across me retrieving my target. Not sure how big a thing metal detecting is in Japan. Perhaps by watching me, one of them might have been bitten by the "metal detecting bug". Who Knows?

Yes, the Japanese guys were really excited to have come across me retrieving my target. Not sure how big a thing metal detecting is in Japan. Perhaps by watching me, one of them might have been bitten by the "metal detecting bug". Who Knows?

I run into Japanese tourists, from time to time, @ Carmel Beach in CA. Because there is a lot of Japanese tourists there, d/t the golf. And .... culturally speaking, ....... they are totally mystified as to why ANYONE would do such a thing. Ie.: a waste of time, or why bother, or ... etc.... They think you are "cleaning the beach" or some sort of public worker.

And if you ever read of anyone md'ing in Japan (beaches, etc... ) it is invariably an American Ex-pat. Not a resident Japanese. It's just not in their blood as something that would appear to be meritorious for time and motivation-sake.

I may be wrong, but .... this is just the impression I've gotten so far.

I run into Japanese tourists, from time to time, @ Carmel Beach in CA. Because there is a lot of Japanese tourists there, d/t the golf. And .... culturally speaking, ....... they are totally mystified as to why ANYONE would do such a thing. Ie.: a waste of time, or why bother, or ... etc.... They think you are "cleaning the beach" or some sort of public worker.

And if you ever read of anyone md'ing in Japan (beaches, etc... ) it is invariably an American Ex-pat. Not a resident Japanese. It's just not in their blood as something that would appear to be meritorious for time and motivation-sake.

I think I recall 18kronin or somebody in Japan saying if they lose stuff then its supposed to be left there.Seems to be a superstition?

I never met a Japanese who was into metal detecting, let alone hearing about anyone from Japan who was interested. Perhaps you are right about it not being in their blood. However, having said that, these guys truly seemed interested in what I was doing and continued to watch me retrieve my target which turned out to be a old can. I showed them the NASA lapel pin I found and they took turns passing it around examining it. After examining the pin, I let them look into my finds pouch and see all the coins I found. Again, another big smile. Their questions then became more specific as to what valuable things have been found. I believe their highlight was when I let them hold my Nox for pictures. Who knows, your probably right about it just being a passing thing of little real interest for them.

.... somebody in Japan saying if they lose stuff then its supposed to be left there.Seems to be a superstition?

No, not a "superstition". I think it's a super strong (over extended, if-you-ask-me) notion of lost & found. So .... for example .... if you leave your wallet on a park bench at the bus stop, you can be assured it will be there when you return. If you forget and leave your umbrella @ the entry-holder of the restaurant, you can be assured that the next person won't think "finders keepers". There is not "finders keepers" notion in their vocabulary, I guess.

I saw this , firsthand, when some Japanese tourists, @ Carmel beach, came up to me and handed me a digital camera. At first, I thought they were asking me to take their picture. But ... after some meager English attempts, they indicated they had found it. And they were handing it to me, because they thought I was a worker (because I was swinging a detector). I wasn't able to explain that I DIDN'T work for the city, so... I gave up and graciously accepted the camera.

I floated a CL "found" ad, and was able to re-unite it with the owner (long story). But the point is, you can see how none of them seem to think "lucky me, look at the cool camera I found". Instead, there's almost zero "finders keepers" mentality.

I'm sure this same notion would likewise apply to us, in the USA (if you have any moral scruples whatsoever) for recently lost items (like a camera right on top of the ground). But in Japan, that seems to extend to .... even objects that .... who knows if they've been lost for years ?

This is an object of USA legalities too. Because, when you think of it: The law makes no distinction of when YOU think the object was lost (deeply buried vs shallow, etc...). It merely dictates the lost & found procedure. Lest an unscrupulous person merely *assume* that anything they find, has been "given up on". How do you know ?

.... However, having said that, these guys truly seemed interested in what I was doing and continued to watch me retrieve my target ....

Yes: they are curious (since they sometimes have never seen such an instrument) and watch you. And .... in my experience, once they figure out what you are doing, then it just progresses to phase II : "Why would any sane person do such a thing ?" :wow:

I think I recall 18kronin or somebody in Japan saying if they lose stuff then its supposed to be left there.Seems to be a superstition?

I had a Russian friend who used to detect on the coasts of Vietnam and he would tell me that it was a custom amoung some that when they split up they would go down to the beach and throw their rings in the water ending the relationship.

Don't know if its true or not but there it a lot of people who toss their rings in the ocean when its over. I guess a way of not having any reminder of the past and moving on with life instead.

Our club, Reno Prospecting and Detecting club and myself do a lot detecting up at Lake Tahoe. Especially where the Nevada and California border is. People use to come to Nevada for a quick divorce. There are a couple of locations on the beach where newly divorced people would go and throw their wedding rings off into the water. FYI, when I moved to Nevada, I joined the local club and it was through the club I found out these locations.

Back
Top Bottom