Unknown foreign Thrift store coin chineses?

MattLock

Elite Member
Picked up some transit tokens and a tax token and a foreign coin am not sure what it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
During the Kuang-hsu period the first machine made cash coins of China were struck. They were struck in a very yellow brass, and tend to be very well made, but do not appear to have been too popular as they are normally seen with very little wear on them, showing they did not circulate widely. Most were made in the Kwangtung province, and were probably first struck in 1889.

You will find your Cash Coin here towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#images of titles

During the Kuang-hsu period the first machine made cash coins of China were struck. They were struck in a very yellow brass, and tend to be very well made, but do not appear to have been too popular as they are normally seen with very little wear on them, showing they did not circulate widely. Most were made in the Kwangtung province, and were probably first struck in 1889.

You will find your Cash Coin here towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#images of titles

Are you looking at the 7th one from the Bouttom ?

Absolutely nothing. They are found everywhere.

I have to disagree.
They do have value, both historic and monetary.
Although the value to the machine struck coins is slim (maybe a buck or two) the "cool" factor is still there.
I find the cast coins often while metal detecting here in the Gold country and it always makes me smile...
Never detected a machine struck one though.
Cool Find..

Mattlock,
I read that post awhile back. It is 8 years old.
I would have to say that they are wrong on it being a copy.
Most of the copied cash coins that I've encountered were cast and only one sided.
The modern stamped coins that I've seen had the field dimpled to simulate being cast like what was said in that post.
This coin is definitely a original stamped cash coin from the 1890's

Last edited:
I have to disagree.
They do have value, both historic and monetary.
Although the value to the machine struck coins is slim (maybe a buck or two) the "cool" factor is still there.
I find the cast coins often while metal detecting here in the Gold country and it always makes me smile...
Never detected a machine struck one though.
Cool Find..

Mattlock,
I read that post awhile back. It is 8 years old.
I would have to say that they are wrong on it being a copy.
Most of the copied cash coins that I've encountered were cast and only one sided.
The modern stamped coins that I've seen had the field dimpled to simulate being cast like what was said in that post.
This coin is definitely a original stamped cash coin from the 1890's

Another guy said it's not valuable enough to be fakeed and plenty were made

Back
Top Bottom