Is my new AT Pro broken????

olddude

I've been trying to learn this new machine and I have gotten a little better at finding stuff but in trashy areas........which is about everywhere I hunt when I turn on the iron audio button to where it displays on the screen the iron sounds go away and I get a good tone like it's a good target but when I turn it off, to where the words iron audio are not displayed I get the iron signals telling me it's an iron target. Is something wired backwards or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds to me like your running with zero iron disc, I run mine set at 27...
If you run zero disc the machine will work as you described..

I've been trying to learn this new machine and I have gotten a little better at finding stuff but in trashy areas........which is about everywhere I hunt when I turn on the iron audio button to where it displays on the screen the iron sounds go away and I get a good tone like it's a good target but when I turn it off, to where the words iron audio are not displayed I get the iron signals telling me it's an iron target. Is something wired backwards or am I doing something wrong?

Working just fine...

Your description is exactly why I don't even understand why iron audio is needed... The ATP lets you know that iron is there, why anyone would want their iron to sound like a gold target is beyond me...

I run mine at Pro Zero, no disc, wide open, iron audio off.. Iron sounds like iron, gold sounds like gold, and coins sound like coins!

I like to hear all that smaller iron so I know when to really slow down.. Also I have tried running some iron disc, and I hate all the audio "clipping" that happens...

<*)))>{

Also I have tried running some iron disc, and I hate all the audio "clipping" that happens...

<*)))>{

EXACTLY! I never could describe it, but that's exactly what it should be called.. audio "clipping". That's why I don't use any discrimination either. It's like you get a lot of "partial" tones. I don't like it a bit.

Pro zero, no disc here.

I have looked at all those videos a dozen times and I still wasn't able to get Iron Audio through my thick head. Now from what you guys are saying I have a new problem......I need to go back over a lot of ground I have been hunting in the past week to recheck about a million readings I passed over thinking they were all junk. :(

I also figured out why I have not been finding buttons or other brass items in the area I have been hunting. The whole area is littered with all sorts of trash, bottle caps, pop tops, tin cans, Alum cans car fenders, and the worst of all, .22 cal lead and shell casings along with tons of buckshot. the 22's and buckshot all read about the same as most small buttons or other small camp site items and after digging a thousand or so I get tired of digging them and I have been passing by a lot of the signals in the low to mid 40's and even the low 50's in some cases because it takes so much time chasing so many of these targets when they always seem to end up being buck shot or a .22 bullet.

Yesterday I spent over an hour digging under a big oak tree for a signal in the high 70's an sounded so good but it ended up being an old 3/4" sq. nut off of a piece of old farm machinery. Those small 22's and buckshot sometimes take what seems like forever to find after chasing them around in an ever growing hole for 20 minutes or more before finally putting your hands on them.

Those small 22's and buckshot sometimes take what seems like forever to find after chasing them around in an ever growing hole for 20 minutes or more before finally putting your hands on them.

Do you have a pinpointer? If not, you need to get one. It makes all the difference.

Do you have a pinpointer? If not, you need to get one. It makes all the difference.
Yeah I have a Garrett pro pointer that I have had for a few months now but I don't think that thing is all it's cracked up to be. It worked pretty good for awhile but it seems to have gotten a little lazy here lately. Sometimes it barks up the wrong tree and at times it just keeps barking once it gets a sniff and wont quit until I cut it off and start the hunt all over again.

when the GPP goes off like crazy just detune it. that is sticking it in the hole with it on till it starts to go crazy then turn it off holding it right there and right back on it will lessen sensitivity making it easier but probably going to be a bigger target

Also, if you are using a pro pointer, remember it is a detector with 0 discrim. It will bark at anything in the ground, so if you are hunting in high trash areas, it will be happy to tell you where it all is.

Also, if you are using a pro pointer, remember it is a detector with 0 discrim. It will bark at anything in the ground, so if you are hunting in high trash areas, it will be happy to tell you where it all is.

I understand that part but that's not what it's doing. Once it starts it don't stop no matter where it's at, it just keeps going until you cut it off. Sometimes it goes on like it should but then sometimes you have to cut it on an off several times to get it to stop or sometimes you tap it on something hard and it stops. It's been doing this since I got it but lately it has gotten worst.

Simplest way to explain iron audio...

It lets you hear what you discrim out as a low tone. If you run Pro Zero with 00 discrim, iron audio does nothing.

If you have discrim to 40 you will hear all below 40 as low tone (IO on)
If you have discrim to 40 and IO is off... you hear nothing.

I run Pro zero, Zero discrim , and one notch below max sensitivity. In the AT Pro manual it explains Iron Disc starting on page 24 and runs thru Iron Audio thru to page 29. The way I read it, you only want just enough to knock out say a nail but not too much that it knocks out both targets. If the targets are close enough together the AT Pro will use the "combined" conductivity. So lets say a nail comes in at "20" and a penny at "80" but are close enough to be seen as "one" target with a combined conductivity of 35 . With iron Disc set to "20" you will get a good signal of "35". Remember "good" is basically anything above what you set for DISC. What Iron Audio on does is change the cut off of the tones. Every thing below your Iron Disc will be "low" tone, everything above up to 75 will be a "mid" tone, everything above 75 will be high tone. Iron Audio off 0 to 35 "low" tone 35 to 75 "mid" tone above 75 "high" tone. With Iron Audio off the numbers you disc out will be "silent" but you will still get a visual response. So you may have Iron Disc set at "30" with Iron Audio you will still "see" numbers below 30 but shouldn't hear them. Turn Iron Audio on and now everything below "30" is low tone, 30 to 75 is now a mid tone and above 75 a high tone.

Yeah I have a Garrett pro pointer that I have had for a few months now but I don't think that thing is all it's cracked up to be. It worked pretty good for awhile but it seems to have gotten a little lazy here lately. Sometimes it barks up the wrong tree and at times it just keeps barking once it gets a sniff and wont quit until I cut it off and start the hunt all over again.
Do not press the point into the dirt. The PP don't like it. :foottap:
It is a pointer not a digger!!!

Back
Top Bottom