Afraid to ask.

shedigz

Elite Member
My boss owns a farm that I assume is rather large. I have never been there. He is the type that would make me give him my finds because he would see them as his since they came from his property even though I dug them up.

I'm afraid to ask him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you really think he's that kind of guy, then why are you even thinking of asking him to detect his land? There has to be somewhere else you can go, schools, parks, relatives. I wouldn't give him the opprotunity to have him say no or be Mr. Grabby. Just my opinion.

I had someone one time who acted like what I dug from his ground was his. I politely advised him that I paid for the detector, PP, batteries, gas to drive to his property and hundreds of hours getting the experience to find buried items. I told him any coins I found would be mine. Any family or historical relics he could keep and anything of great value (ie jewelry) we would sell and split. OR I would provide him a machine to use (I have five including a pair of 250s) and teach him to hunt and hunt with him and split equally whatever was found. He was fascinated by the idea of learning and we spent a great afternoon hunting his property. He hunted together a couple of times and then he got his own equipment and now hunts solo.
We didn't find much and he still doesn't but I got to hunt a spot I wanted to and had a great time with it.

I wouldn't even waste my time with him. There are too many other places to hunt. That's my opinion.

You'll never know if he really is "that type" unless you ask and if you don't ask, you'll always wonder what he would've said. Next time he mentions anything about his property ask about its history and tell him about your hobby. You may be surprised in a good way with his reaction.

You'll never know if he really is "that type" unless you ask and if you don't ask, you'll always wonder what he would've said. Next time he mentions anything about his property ask about its history and tell him about your hobby. You may be surprised in a good way with his reaction.

Agreed,,Even if he gives you permission and says he wants everything,,,,it doesn't mean you are committed to go.

Yeah, ask. I am always surprised at how receptive a lot of folks are. You do get the occasional uppity type but in general people are cool. It helps if you know them.

If it were me and he said he wanted to keep everything I'd be ok with that. But to me finding the stuff is the reward, not that actual things. Although being able to hold nice old coins later on is quite rewarding. :)

Go ahead and ask. Worst he can say is no(or your fired. JK). :)

GL + HH!!

Legally, the property owner owns it. Unless there is historical claim that can be made.

Heres a thought. Your dealing with a employer. He is in charge of what goes on at work. His home may not be open to fellow employees. You want to hunt it, just ask.

But up front. Realize he already assumes he owns it. But tell him what the split is and give him first dubs on any finds. Liabilty is a issue for management, so you may need a written permission form signed that includes you waiving rights not to sue if there is accident.

My wife sells Mark Kay, she talks to complete strangers in walmart all the time. It puts me off when she does that. But she has recruited and sold Mary Kay just walking up and saying hi.

Private property is the bomb. Do some research, and start saying hi.

Back
Top Bottom