UMC New Club

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
My old posts with wrong information are coming back to haunt me...:mad:

I hate it when old posts of mine, with errors, seem to creep back up to the surface!

I need to post some updated information in an attempt to correct some wrong information posted in the back. In my defense though, I got much of the information directly from Remington, but I have since found it to be wrong. Anyway, here is some better information, correct, as far as I know.

New Club - not a smokeless powder shell. It is a black powder shell.

Date range - 1892-1910

picture.php

Double Circle around primer - 1892-1895 (end date approx.)

picture.php

Plain Headstamp - 1895-1902 +/- a year or two

picture.php

8 Pointed Star Variety 1 - 1902-1910 (beginning date approx.). Research indicates this variety was used for factory loaded shells.

picture.php

8 Pointed Star Variety 2 - 1902-1910 (beginning date approx.). Research indicates this varidty was used for primed, empty shells.

Thanks for the info, Doug. Did you get my headstamp pics? One was a New Club also, only it was a No. 16 nearly identical to your last pic but with Remington stamped above U.M.C. Co.

Thanks for the heads up TF.

I have most of the ones shown? Not sure if I have all of them but have several of each I do have. I find headstamps on almost every hunt here at a Local Lake Park, and I hunt it 1 or 2 times a week. I think they are cool and someday will make a display for them... GL & HH.....Pat

Thanks for the info, Doug. Did you get my headstamp pics? One was a New Club also, only it was a No. 16 nearly identical to your last pic but with Remington stamped above U.M.C. Co.

Yes, I received the pics. I thought I wrote you back, but I guess I did not. I am sorry. Your 16ga is the first that I think I have seen with that variety of headstamp. If not the first, it is only one of a small handfull that I have seen dug.

Doug

Great info! Thanks for dating my find to 1892-1895 and black powder.
This was found in a church yard dating to 1870's, now in a crowded suburb. 10 gauge!

UMC10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom