Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 05-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Mid range price and simple

Simplicity is my middle name. My first and only detector is a Compadre. I have great luck with it and it doesn't get much easier. I'm getting an itch to try something more mid-range with vdi, but I am worried about having too many setting and variables to screw up. Is there any machine out there mid priced that will offer a great turn on and go performance? I don't mind setting discrimination or giving GB a try, but I don't want to worry about 5 or more different settings all the time. I've looked at the patriot, t2, at pro, and nox600, but am overwhelmed by all they offer. I know they have presets, but will they still require tweaking? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Rugith; 05-09-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Elite Member

Nox 600 out of the box is fine. Ground balance at 0 works in most situations. If you need to GB there is a tracking GB feature that you can turn on. Other than that, set noise cancel, adjust your sensitivity per site and pick the best pre-set for your area, Park1, Park2, Field1, Field2, Beach1, Beach2, and hunt.

BCD

Old 05-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rugith View post
Simplicity is my middle name. My first and only detector is a Compadre. I have great luck with it and it doesn't get much easier. I'm getting an itch to try something more mid-range with vdi, but I am worried about having too many setting and variables to screw up. Is there any machine out there mid priced that will offer a great turn on and go performance? I don't mind setting discrimination or giving GB a try, but I don't want to worry about 5 or more different settings all the time. I've looked at the patriot, t2, at pro, and nox600, but am overwhelmed by all they offer. I know they have presets, but will they still require tweaking? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Break it down into steps. Typically you....
Step 1 - noise cancel
Step 2 - ground balance
Step 3 - use a standard or pre-loaded setting. For example, coin, beach, relic.

You do that for each time you hunt, or when ground conditions change. Once you have that down, you can start exploring other options that will refine the standard settings. For example. Adjust the sensitivity to gain depth or identify smaller mass objects. Learn how to notch or discriminate unwanted targets.

The higher level machines may seem intimidating at first but after a few hours, this will become muscle memory and you'll be able to learn more and more.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Elite Member

I am a big fan of the Whites Treasure Pro. It is going to be a big step up from the Compadre and won't break the bank. It has auto tracking and ground balance so ground balancing is not an issue. It is fairly lightweight and the ID is excellent. Basically turn it on and go in coin and jewelry mode. It also has a backlight and there are quite a few aftermaeket coils available with my favorite being the Detech 6X8 SEF coil. Whites customer service is also top notch and it has a good warranty. You wont find another detector in its price range with more features but easy to operate. It also has good performance depth wise.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM

A Whites M6 is a good way to go .

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

I think you’ll be okay with any midpriced machine,at pro,equinox.whites m6,treasure pro...Just a lot of them out there and pretty much all the same.Id start looking at what you most ant from a machine, waterproof,Backlight,short ID range or expanded ID range,I mean it’s really the features that set midpriced machines apart..Write a list of the things that you’d like in a detector,and go from there.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Default You can never have too many settings or options.

With all the choices, I would say your wallet is your best discriminator. As for VDI, its overated but will help id targets if the detector is capable.

So many factors like ground, temp, and trash to consider.

Dont let go of that tesoro, you will always treasure your first detector.

Mid Range is what high end used to be. First Texas has the F75. Large VDI, enough options, but can just be hunted in default mode.

AT Pro, even simpler to hunt, not much in VDI, but very useful info on the screen. The NOX, Kruze, Deus all next gen and doable.

Thats my take.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Supporter

F series Patriot/f75 is as simple/adjustable as you want it to be. Don't over think it. I can GB my machine and be swinging it in about 25 seconds give or take a few,...making all the adjustments I want. Best of luck with your decision. HH -Aaron

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Elite Member

The Teknetics T2, Makro Kruzer, Makro Racer 2, are a few good choices.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Good suggestions everyone.

The more I think on it, I'm definitely over thinking it.

I will check out everything in my price range, and make a decision based on the features I like.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 AM

What is your "mid range" price point ? 4-600 dollars ? If you can check the forum "for sale" section there's Xterra there literally new for a little over 400. Damn fine detector if you're not a water hunter. Check it out..

Old 05-10-2018, 03:41 PM

The Teknetics Gamma 6000 sounds about right for you, I know I have been very happy with mine, I also have 2 other coils other than the stock 10" round that came with it. Very good turn on and go detector

Old 05-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Supporter

You've already bragged on your Compadre, andd GB isn't an issue for it evidently, so get a Cibola. If you just wanting GB on something, get a Vaquero.

Lifetime warranties

Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

If you don't get carried away with the sensitivity setting, most of the mid range detectors work great. Every brand I've used functions admirably by moderation until I learned the machine. So get what YOU see as a desirable detector.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 AM
Supporter

AT Pro or Equnox 600 or 800 - simple enough machines to operate, mastering them might take a while though.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Smile

The AT PRO or X-Terra 705 are good detectors.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:11 AM

The Nox 600 is straightforward, easy to use and has all the modern features (light weight, bright screen, fast, wireless, waterproof). With the stock coil, it's deep and has excellent separation and unmasking abilities. While there are underlying adjustments available to tweak, you can start without even looking at them as the preset modes are pretty good right out of the box.

I've been using the Nox 600 for a few months now and like it.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM

The Patriot is pretty simple as far as settings is concerned. There's only sensitivity, threshold, disc, #of tones, and default or slow speed. Pushbutton ground grab and a frequency toggle button as well. It's a logically placed and quick to access. Factory reset settings are a good starting point for most hunts. I've only had mine a month and found it easy to get used to. It's reasonably-priced, deep, and fast.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 PM
Supporter

A friend recently got a Fisher F44 and loves it.
Solid machine for the $ and weather-proof also.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

One thing I didnt like about my f70 was i couldnt disc out anything above something like pennies.
Atpro is very easy to learn
Equinox is probably the best choice.