Help with id - part 1

chrisw61

Went on a long haul today. I'm pretty new to detecting and my detector is bit older - so i dig everything. I'm not good enough yet to figure out what my detector is telling me. Today i dug about 12 beer cans or tins, 8 nails, 5 or 6 big chunks of metal that will have to be cleaned, several parts to an old iron stove and a bunch of other stuff. Hauled it all out in my backpack along with 3 cups of dirt. After three hours i did find a couple of good things - all in the last 45 minutes of the day.
First i found this buckle which was in perfect condition. Don't need help with it.
Then i found the 2 iron spikes in the second picture. The bigger one is not a railroad spike that I can tell. Square on top and uniform all around. Anyone recognize either of these?

Attachments

• IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 284
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 278
bayonet

I thought it might be a bayonet too. Looked at a lot of pictures. Almost all of them seem like they are made to fit on the end of the rifle. This thing is not. It is made of iron and pretty heavy. I was thinking it might be a tent state or cooking stake but it is too short for a cooking stake. Thanks

The item to the left of the spoon looks like a drift. It's used to remove a chuck from a Morse tapered drill press or lathe spindle. Look up Morse taper drift for pictures.

good guess

It does look like one I've seen. It is very thick and heavy - bigger than a railroad spike.

Regarding the object to the left of the spoon..... I've found three very similar objects in my yard. I believe they are chisels used for splitting stone. Look up plug wedges and feathers shims......

Back
Top Bottom