Sledge Hammer Thing

hi OleSarge,
i found something that looks similar to your last object.
maybe a decoration for a lamp...
i found it here in Dortmund,germany.the pickes was once all around the object.
only 5 still on the object after i dug it out.
its bended and i don't wanne break it in order to straighten it out.

This thing is pretty large to have been used for something like a table lamp, unless it was used on the base.
I'm thinking it's about 8" across and almost tissue paper thin. But it is made of some material which has resisted rust for a lot of years.
I was happy to find it because I'm 1000% certain there is old silver in this area and this pretty well dates it to the late 1800's or early 1900's.
And it is really a pretty piece of metal work.
The "Ford" item is a Model T wheel grease cap that is from a car built in 1911-1918, and it was found in the same area as the decorative metal thing.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

hi OleSarge,
my is 3 inch in diameter...a lot smaller than yours,
but amazing how similar our items look like.
someone took the knowledge of art from the old world to yours.
its neat thats why i kept my too.
maybe someone can help us figuering out what we got.

Seems very small to me to be a railroad hammer, maybe a special use in maintenance, I am curious to know what it was used for. Nice find.

Thanks for your comment 3.14R8......I'm nearly convinced that it was used as a pin hammer of some sort and the prominent part the 36" railroad played in the history of the area fairly well supports that opinion.
It really is a heavy hammer head and the hole size for the handle would accommodate a full sized sledge hammer handle.
What truly amazes me though is the character of the area where I found this thing.
This is a large park which is built on a site which has been used for a number of purposes continually for the past 178 years. It either contains within it boundaries or at very close proximity at least 13 good sized lakes, ponds and marshes.
During the 40+ years I've lived here the area where I found the hammer was literally inaccessible because of dense brush and vicious blackberry briar patches. Recently, for a reason unknown to me, the park maintenance folks went into the area with a chain flail or tractor mounted brush cutter and completely cleared it of tall vegetation.
Now it's a race to do as much metal detecting in the area as possible before the brush and briar tangles take it back over and finding this hammer is really exciting for me.
A target this large is pretty good evidence that the area hasn't been plundered by the large number of metal detector hobbiests which love to scourge these newly opened digging sites.
Hopefully I'll have some eye popping silver or antique jewelry to post if it meets my expectations......and the digging gods are favorable.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

Back
Top Bottom