What do you say?

A Good tip...

Almost 30 years ago I sold Encyclopedias door to door. I was taught right away to always be smiling and cheerful when the door opens! It is far harder for people to be rude to someone that is Upbeat and Smiling! Realize that when you knock on someones door that you "Are" disturbing them from whatever they happen to be doing! GL & HH......Pat

I like asking people that are outside already. It just seems easier to me, and sometimes people won't come to the door.

My last two permissions were granted while I was standing dripping wet with sweat, fresh from the dirty wood. My line is nothing fancy: "Hi, my name is Don. I live just a few blocks, next town over, etc. I do metal detecting as a hobby and would like permission to hunt your property. I'm pretty much just looking for coins but if you lost something I'd be happy to search for it for you."

So far I'm batting a thousand on permissions granted versus denied.

Very straight forward, I like it.

I have called and asked town parks an rec and called the school supers and asked have always got permission but it might have something to do with my accent and they were all women...lol

English accent goes a long way, gift of the gab helps too...maybe I should walk around properties but my 'stance can deter some people'.

I have plans on asking at the local historical society in person to see what its like..if I can get in there too it should give me access to some people who own the old homes in town...bait the traps and catch me some permissions...the best thin I think to help you is that fact you have done it in places and can name them and nobody has had a complaint against me.

When they open the door just slap them as HARD AS YOU CAN. then tell them to get you some lemonade because you're gonna be around for a while.
:laughing:
I literally laugh out loud every time I come across another post quoting ^that post.
I vote 'Post of the Year'

(I just laughed again, and I haven't even posted this yet...):lol:

Seriously though, the methods posted in this thread are greatly helpful and appreciated by us "knockin' noobs".

I say scan the yard not detect the yard. I don't ever say I'm hunting for old coins. I can't remember the last time I had to explain how I recover targets but I never say dig, plug or cut. I say that I pop most targets up through the grass. When asked what I'm hoping to find I say - Well I would like to find a wheat penny but I mostly find nails. Some will try to say no by saying the yard has already been hunted several times. I say that's OK I mostly do it for exercise. I always recover my targets with my back to the house. They are watching and you do not want them to see you pull soil out of a hole. I do this at parks as well. Put your back to the people.

The only places i have asked permission is with my neighbors.Of course they all know me very well. Biggest problem I run into is most people are intimidated right off because of my size. I am 6'1 and around 280 lbs. most people say they would hate to meet me in a dark alley or see me mad. How do I get around peoples narrow minds about looks and put them at ease instantly?:?:

I recently got permission at a place that burnt down years ago. Well I got a great signal and the people came out to watch me "recover" the signal. I cut a small plug and heard them say dont dig in the yard. I mean wth how ya supposed to recover the items without making a small plug? I recovered nothing at a site that should give great rewards because of a small plug lol:?:

Back
Top Bottom