How should a approach my local town hall?

cheaptoad

I know going in person in the best way. I'm more interested in what to say to them.

I guess I would go to the parks department?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean asking about hunting parks in your town? I think I'd look up the town's code (most are online now) and see what it says about metal detecting (if it says anything at all). Actually talking to someone at town hall seems like a "no" waiting to happen. But this is an oft debated topic around these parts. ;)

I agree with Luke.
Check the information online or at the library first.
Next, you could call and ask for someone in the parks department and DO NOT mention metal detecting.
Ask about permits for parties, pets, alcohol and stuff like that.
Then request a copy of the ordinances.
They will either laugh, or let you know where to get a copy.

I agree with Luke as well. If you can't find an ordinance or posted sign specifically saying no to metal detecting I'd go for it. Asking in person is really a walk on thin ice. Person you ask could be having a bad day or feel under-appreciated at work and jump at the chance to shut you down just to make him/herself feel more important. Touchy situation. I had a town Police Officer pull up on me last week while I was detecting the front lawn of a public school. He rolled down the passenger side window and politely asked if I'd lost anything. I said "no, this is my hobby". He got quite interested in what I'd found in the past and we had a great little conversation. GL and HH. Matt
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean asking about hunting parks in your town? I think I'd look up the town's code (most are online now) and see what it says about metal detecting (if it says anything at all). Actually talking to someone at town hall seems like a "no" waiting to happen. But this is an oft debated topic around these parts. ;)

Myself, what I normally do is my reasearch online. If I dont see any ordinances against I will normally go to the parks im interested in and look for signs. If no signs I go for it and then if anybody says anything I tell them what I have done to check and there is no visible signs to say differently.Also, I have found that to avoid any confrontation at all I keep my park detecting to WEEKENDS ONLY FROM SUN UP TIL AROUND 10AM when there are no city employees working to even question you....good luck..HH

Back
Top Bottom