Are coins dug from the ground even worth anything?

Jinx18

I see a lot of people who say to be careful when you pull something out of the ground, say how to wrap it, not to rub it to see dates because you may scratch it and to be careful what you put in the tumbler. Well my question is, these coins coming out of the ground are usually in real rough shape. Is anything really worth much? I understand something extremely valuable will always be worth something regardless of condition but what about common things like

Wheat Ear Pennies, Indian Head Pennies, "War" Nickels, Buffalo Nickels, Barber Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Barber Dimes, Seated Liberty Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, Barber Quarters, etc.

Are they worth much more than face value? Seems most people clean them up in a tumbler and keep them in a book of there finds. Seems like cleaning these don't really hurt the value as they are not worth much anyway. I understand the older silver coins are probably worth more in silver value then face value.

Any info on this would be great. Thanks.

Silver is... as to the wheats and buffalo/V nickels... I took them to the coin dealer and he told me just spend them which I do...I recently put about 40 wheats and a dozen buff nickels back in circulation :yes:

I've dug a few really nice Indian Head pennies that I've sold for WAY more than a cent. : ) You're correct in thinking that 'dug' coins aren't as valuable as 'undug' ones for the most part, but if you have the luck of digging a semi-key or key date coin, there's always added value over face. I'd always be careful in the field until you know what you have. Good luck finding those good ones. : )

I would save them up pre 1982 pennies are worth more in scrap value than face value. you can sell them to the scrap yard with the other junk you find

For common stuff it's more about doing whatever appeals to you for looks. Just be sure it isn't anything rare because there is probably $1,000 finds dug every day, and you never know, maybe your turn will come up.

I will give anyone face value for silver coins anytime they ask .... regardless of condition! Heck - I'll give double face value - even if I can't read the date and it is worn down to the rim! :D

That's just the kind of guy I am

If you happen to dig up a rare coin, like an 1877 Indian Head Cent , I'll give you AT LEAST face value for it. Some coins can come out of the ground in very nice condition. Many factors decide this.

Im sure someone will buy them i think they are 95% copper maby if you had a way to melt them down

If you did melt them down or even tryed to you would be looking at a $10,000 fine. Same with nickels. Silver coins are legal to melt though. Also to answer the original question really anytime someone says don't rub old coins you find that only means silver cause it scratches easily, rub those nickels and wheats all you want. Silver coins usually still hold value when you dig them as they still look like they did the day they were dropped, unless you find them on a beach, sand and salt water aren't nice to silver!!

If you did melt them down or even tryed to you would be looking at a $10,000 fine. Same with nickels. Silver coins are legal to melt though. Also to answer the original question really anytime someone says don't rub old coins you find that only means silver cause it scratches easily, rub those nickels and wheats all you want. Silver coins usually still hold value when you dig them as they still look like they did the day they were dropped, unless you find them on a beach, sand and salt water aren't nice to silver!!

Thanks for the info i was not aware of that

Copper penny melting becoming legal may happen, or it may never happen. If it does happen, I have a strange feeling that the Gov. will start taking them back. Who knows what the Gov will do.

I've sold enough silver coins & gold rings on Ebay and elsewhere to pay for my detecting equipment a few times over :-)
Just look at some of the finds people post on this site and you can see for yourself.

I have found enough scrap copper brass and alluminum to pay for my equiptment a few times over plus the gas for my trips hunting . Atleast i feel like i have.I am starting to keep it all and separate it in buckets after each trip.

Silver is... as to the wheats and buffalo/V nickels... I took them to the coin dealer and he told me just spend them which I do...I recently put about 40 wheats and a dozen buff nickels back in circulation :yes:
Contact me the next time you want to put them bufs back into circulation I will pay you 7cents per buffalo nichol
so 6 bufs will net you 35 cents

I have seen 4 tree shillings that were all dug up..all looked great and if you ebay search for one..even a fought worn one can bring in $1000 easy..you scratch it and your probably looking at anywhere from $100-$500 less.

I've also got a toasted 1914D wheatie...still worth maybe $100 but a big scratch in the middle and it would be even less of a set filler.

If you keep the coins yourself I prefer the cleaner the better...(I have a 1957 wheatie that has a gun shot mark on

Back
Top Bottom