What a find

graveLngoLd

New to this, and have been testing out some of the pointers a fellow MDF User had been giving me.

Today we went to a site which I wasn't really expecting to find much because it seemed to have been really transformed as a playground and a park. So We ventured off to where the bike path was and where there are still a large patch of trees with some age to them. I was hitting at a rapid mid to high 80's to uncover this....

I tend to be on Search and Rescue for this hobby and my husband is in the division of Geography and Research :laughing::laughing:

My father is a pretty big buff with history and provided some, well, I should say minimal advice as he wasn't readily available to talk. But my husband states this gem is a 50 cal and believed to have been from 1940s.

I can provide more information about the location; however, my husband is a little gun shy (no pun intended) on that. 1. Can items such as these be asked to be returned as they are ordinance to the military 2. It is intact, are there concerns regarding this type of find.. Any other insight regarding finds similar to these would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing all your responses

Attachments

• image2 (3).jpeg
    image2 (3).jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 504
  • image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 457
Sweet 50 cal round, I enjoy shooting them. The age can be narrowed down by the manufacturer head stamp on the bottom. The letters and numbers will be a code you decipher online.

Provided you don't cook it or whack the bottom with a hammer, they are safe to keep around. Make sure there's no signs of corrosion around the primer as well. If you contact the military or law enforcement groups their general safety answer they are supposed to give is that they will take it back for safe destruction. You can keep it, there's no reason not to.

Sweet 50 cal round, I enjoy shooting them. The age can be narrowed down by the manufacturer head stamp on the bottom. The letters and numbers will be a code you decipher online.

Provided you don't cook it or whack the bottom with a hammer, they are safe to keep around. Make sure there's no signs of corrosion around the primer as well. If you contact the military or law enforcement groups their general safety answer they are supposed to give is that they will take it back for safe destruction. You can keep it, there's no reason not to.

I attempted to brush the cap but was nervous to clean it too hard. My dad and husband also said the same about the cap; however, it looks as if there is NOTHING on it.... But I will clean it up a little more since my light cleaning didnt shoot my dog and I can go a little harder without big worry

I attempted to brush the cap but was nervous to clean it too hard. My dad and husband also said the same about the cap; however, it looks as if there is NOTHING on it.... But I will clean it up a little more since my light cleaning didnt shoot my dog and I can go a little harder without big worry

Use a nylon brush and a little bit of water and you'll be fine, for extra safety just clean around the edges of the head and not the primer in the center. 50bmg firing pins are heavy and deliver a hard strike to trigger the round.

Use a nylon brush and a little bit of water and you'll be fine, for extra safety just clean around the edges of the head and not the primer in the center. 50bmg firing pins are heavy and deliver a hard strike to trigger the round.

Ok! On it and will update when I get more info/pictures

That's a nice find , has been awhile, but I have fired thousands of those bad boys in my service days. Love the 50 cal. round. For sure demands respect on both ends if you get my drift.:lol:

Maybe I am a little hesitant to scrub super hard but I cleaned it up and have found nothing on that cap except for what appears to be a pepto bismol colored pink :?:

Attachments

• IMG_5869.jpg
    IMG_5869.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 372
the pink will be the primer and is changing colors because it's a different metal. I couldn't find a reference to a round with no headstamp, but there are some that are so lightly etched in your surface corrosion might be hiding them. I will keep looking around, but heres a link to some if you're looking as well.

http://nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html

Found one 2 years ago on the beach at Amelia Island. It was badly bent. There had been a strafing range during WWII for Flying Fortresses at the south end of the island

A couple of years ago I was hunting a 100 year old house and in the backyard I found a sealed mason jar full of large bullets. In the ground beneath that was over 300 rounds and 50 stripper clips of 30.06 ammo. They are dated 1931 so post WWI and pre WWII

Attachments

• E72D96F9-8384-4D9B-8E65-0027B4EA918F.jpg
    E72D96F9-8384-4D9B-8E65-0027B4EA918F.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 08E7B86E-2AA2-40F0-A60A-D9719851A463.jpeg
    08E7B86E-2AA2-40F0-A60A-D9719851A463.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 58DA61F5-ED13-4C59-9426-328F2B53E9C5.jpeg
    58DA61F5-ED13-4C59-9426-328F2B53E9C5.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 336
Found one 2 years ago on the beach at Amelia Island. It was badly bent. There had been a strafing range during WWII for Flying Fortresses at the south end of the island

A couple of years ago I was hunting a 100 year old house and in the backyard I found a sealed mason jar full of large bullets. In the ground beneath that was over 300 rounds and 50 stripper clips of 30.06 ammo. They are dated 1931 so post WWI and pre WWII

Now THATS a find!!! That’s like a whole flipping Arsenal

the pink will be the primer and is changing colors because it's a different metal. I couldn't find a reference to a round with no headstamp, but there are some that are so lightly etched in your surface corrosion might be hiding them. I will keep looking around, but heres a link to some if you're looking as well.

http://nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html

Same metal, just some primer sealant.

Back
Top Bottom