I think I made a mistake

SilverSlayer98

I bought the AT-Max on pre-order when they first came out and love it. I think that even though its not as good in saltwater as others it's better than the AT-Pro. I didn't do all my research and bought an AT-Pro for my girlfriend because we moved from Ohio to Houston and we wanted to go beach detecting. I sold my ace 350 and my gtp 1350 to buy her the Pro as a 6 year anniversary gift. Now I'm realizing that both machines are noisy in salt water but I think the Max is going to work out with some setting adjustments. I'm so torn on what to do. I'm in graduate school and don't have a lot of money. Can I get some suggestions on a detector for around $500. I don't want to sell the Pro but I want her to enjoy detecting the beach. If I replace it I need one that is also good on land because I like to dig for relics the most. PLEASE HELP LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Multi frequency detectors that operate at more than one frequency simultaneously are known to be better at handling saltwater beach situations. Single frequency detectors like the AT series are great detectors but they do not do particularly well in high salt content areas, especially the ATPro unfortunately.

If $500 is your budget you could wait for the new Garrett Ace Apex (should be released by mid August) and you might be happy with it. It is multi frequency and has a salt mode. It is not fully waterproof so you can't submerge the control box. It is a really nice looking detector.

If you can't wait that long and you don't need fully submersible waterproofed, the multi frequency Minelab Vanquish 340, 440 and 540 are all excellent salt beach and general use detectors. They have built in Beach Advantage salt handling capabilities.

If you want a versatile, salt beach detector that you can submerge completely, you best choice new for under $500 is the Nokta Makro Simplex which has a pretty good salt mode or a Nokta Makro Kruzer if you don't mind buying used.

Another option for a great all around detector that can be submerged is to buy a used multi frequency Minelab Equinox 600. It has two different salt beach modes along with modes for parks and open fields.

Last option is a used XP ORX which has a salt mode function. It can't be submerged fully but it is just about the coolest detector design out there for general or salt beach detecting. It has great adjustability, it's lightweight and versatile and easily packable.

Jeff

Last edited:
Buy her a vanquish 440 and dont look back. You will not regret it at all....Matter of fact, you will probably sell the at max and buy another vanquish 440 after using hers

Multi frequency detectors that operate at more than one frequency simultaneously are known to be better at handling saltwater beach situations. Single frequency detectors like the AT series are great detectors but they do not do particularly well in high salt content areas, especially the ATPro unfortunately.

If $500 is your budget you could wait for the new Garrett Ace Apex (should be released by mid August) and you might be happy with it. It is multi frequency and has a salt mode. It is not fully waterproof so you can't submerge the control box. It is a really nice looking detector.

If you can't wait that long and you don't need fully submersible waterproofed, the multi frequency Minelab Vanquish 340, 440 and 540 are all excellent salt beach and general use detectors. They have built in Beach Advantage salt handling capabilities.

If you want a versatile, salt beach detector that you can submerge completely, you best choice new for under $500 is the Nokta Makro Simplex which has a pretty good salt mode or a Nokta Makro Kruzer if you don't mind buying used.

Another option for a great all around detector that can be submerged is to buy a used multi frequency Minelab Equinox 600. It has two different salt beach modes along with modes for parks and open fields.

Last option is a used XP ORX which has a salt mode function. It can't be submerged fully but it is just about the coolest detector design out there for general or salt beach detecting. It has great adjustability, it's lightweight and versatile and easily packable.

Jeff

By reading between the lines, be happy if it starts shipping to customers before 2021.

I totally agree with woodbutcher. The Vanquish 340 is a great detector for $199. But the 440 includes the pinpoint button, horseshoe button for all metal accepted and more discrimination segments. Those alone are really worth the extra money plus you get a coil cover and a control box cover.

Jeff

I totally agree with woodbutcher. The Vanquish 340 is a great detector for $199. But the 440 includes the pinpoint button, horseshoe button for all metal accepted and more discrimination segments. Those alone are really worth the extra money plus you get a coil cover and a control box cover.

Jeff

Doesn't the 340 have an All Metal mode?

Doesn't the 340 have an All Metal mode?

The Vanquish 340 does not have the all metal horseshoe button. It does have the ability to hunt with nothing discriminated but you have to toggle through the modes to get to that mode. Using the different modes are the only way to change the discrimination pattern.

The 440 has easy to customize accept/reject abilities that the 340 does not have.

Back
Top Bottom