.32 caliber pistol rounds from Civil War?

Nubster

Located the casing and bullet in different areas but seem to go together. Trying to research and learn about metallic cartridges used during the war and saw that there was a .32 caliper Allen Wheelock revolver that used a round that looks exactly like the ones I found. Not sure about the bullet...it fits the casing and appears to be correct size and was located in the same general area which has seen documented fighting during the war. Same spot I have found a couple .44 caliper pistols bullets too...so looks like it was a pistol fight...lol

Thoughts?

106277094_10158385142679291_3117942641199279155_o.jpg

Looks a little to big to be a .
.32 cal. Round. patina looks accurate along with casing , but you may have a fired 54 cal. Monies ball. Hard to tell from picks. But yet it all looks to be period. Congrats on the finds.

Most common 32's I come across at Civil War sites, especially along with the 44's in same area, are the Smith and Wesson. In the photo is a 32cal intact with its cartridge, accompanied with a couple 36cal S&W without the cartridge. Be sure to add them to your research.

Attachments

• 1-1-2013a.jpg
    1-1-2013a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 551
Invest in some calipers and you can get good measurements. They are not expensive and you can get them from places like Harbor Freight or Amazon.

Invest in some calipers and you can get good measurements. They are not expensive and you can get them from places like Harbor Freight or Amazon.

I was just at Harbor Freight and meant to look but forgot. I'll check Amazon...I've been meaning to get some.

Looks a little to big to be a .
.32 cal. Round. patina looks accurate along with casing , but you may have a fired 54 cal. Monies ball. Hard to tell from picks. But yet it all looks to be period. Congrats on the finds.

The bullet (assuming it's a bullet) fits into the casing and the casing is 8mm across the opening...8.1mm = .32 caliber.

Back
Top Bottom