permission granted! (a few pics added, post # 17)

007tallguy

Elite Member
Well, it took me a phone call (no answer), then a visit to her house (no one home) then another call and finally got speak with the caretaker of a church that was built in the mid 1870's!
Permission was granted as well as permission for her own property. (About 5 acres) and I also learned a TON of info from her about the general area, where an old inn once stood, troop movements through there, a stage coach stop, to name a few features!
2 to 3 more feet of snow to go and I'll be all over that place! :D
Will post pics when I can.

Pete

I take it your detecting season is rather short, if you still have that much snow on the ground? Good luck on your site though.

i'm right on the coast and my own yard is about 60-70% bare, but this area i'll be detecting is around 10 miles inland and quite a bit higher in elevation and i honestly couldn't believe how much snow is still on the ground there!
we had an extremely tough winter this year, about 4 times as much of the white stuff as we'd normally get. it is melting away, but i know some areas in the thick woods will still have some on the ground into May. heavy rain for tomorrow, so that should help do a job on it, lol.

Very Cool. I will be waiting to see the pics.

Sweet! Can't wait to see what you find!

Sounds like a great spot Pete, good luck.

Good news Pete. Will be looking forward to your posts.....:yes:

thank you all very much! i plan on getting there this weekend, there should be enough bare ground to get me started. :D
the permission i mentioned is basically for 2 properties, the church's and the lady's yard. but both are in the vicinity or even surrounded by government lands, and no permission is required for there. ;)
(hold your hat!) we're talking in the neighborhood of 300+ acres in total and for at least 5 different parcels of land but most of it is heavily wooded. very heavily wooded!
after doing quite a bit of research and using google earth, i can see where some of the old original roads ran through the area. other maps show the various property lines, but talking with people from around there has been really helpful, that's how i learned the most information. :yes:
although the old church was built in the 1870's, some of the other things i've been told (the stagecoach area, troops marching through and camping there, old roads from point a to point b, etc), that stuff sounds to me like very early 1800's, if not back into the 1700's!
i'm confident that my At pro will do it's job and help reveal the facts, lol. ;)
now i'm trying to decide which area to hit first. i gotta hit what i can before the summer heat becomes an issue. :(
i'm going to try researching more about the military around there and that old inn and see if i can dig anything else up about either of those. (i guess i should have paid more attention to this stuff in school, haha!) :roll: :laughing:

so that's the scoop! it sounds extremely promising! i'll get some photos for y'all when i head out there this weekend. :D

P.

Hey Pete, now that we know more:wow:, hold off for a while. GROUP HUNT:D:shock::lol: Good luck and take lots of pics...

there's a thought! be sure to pack your tick spray, your bear spray, your coyote spray, bug spray and if it gets too hot...... your underarm spray, HAHA! :laughing::laughing:
but seriously, the majority of that land is pure wilderness! i honestly wish i could "carry" if ya know what i mean, but it's just not permitted here. bear spray yes, but not much else. :no:

there's a thought! be sure to pack your tick spray, your bear spray, your coyote spray, bug spray and if it gets too hot...... your underarm spray, HAHA! :laughing::laughing:
but seriously, the majority of that land is pure wilderness! i honestly wish i could "carry" if ya know what i mean, but it's just not permitted here. bear spray yes, but not much else. :no:

Sounds like fun if only allowed to carry. I'd like some sort of advantage in a bear fight. Are you allowed to carry rifles or only during hunting season ?

i might check out the bear spray option. and you can only carry a rifle in the woods here during the hunting season.
as for handguns, they're extremely strict with them! with very few exceptions, the only way you can even buy one is to be a member of a shooting club. then the transporting rules are every bit as crazy: unloaded of course, trigger lock attached, then in a locked case, out of sight in the vehicle, permit to transport and only directly to and from the club, etc, etc... :roll:
so yeah, bear spray, lol.

Best of luck when you get there, sounds like an awesome spot!

<*)))>{

thanks bud! :yes:
i think i'll start with the church, hit the ground that's bare enough to detect. we've had a ton of rain last night, snow-eating fog right now and s'more rain for tomorrow. the ground is super saturated where it isn't still frozen so if detecting this weekend isn't practical, i'll try to scout out some of the old roads and either mark them with flagging tape or gps co-ords or both. the tree cover in there may cause some issues with the gps reception but as long as there's still some snow in those woods, the old roads tend to stand out like a sore thumb. :yes: i can actually spot some of them when i'm driving along the main drag there at 50mph, lol.

arrgggg..... this stuff on the ground is really interfering with my detecting time. :(
a couple pics taken today at the old church site (late 1870's) and sections of a road that dates as far back as the late 1700's to early 1800's. :shock:
i was going to see if i could locate a few old cellar holes that are supposed to be in those woods, but i'd take a step and sink in, next step was fine, then i'd sink in again. that was just too hard to try to walk through.
even those bare spots in the churchyard were still frozen a couple of inches down.

Attachments

• PB110023.JPG
    PB110023.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 280
  • PB110018.JPG
    PB110018.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 301
  • PB110005.JPG
    PB110005.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 276
  • PB110034.JPG
    PB110034.JPG