The art of bottle tumbling...

Matt (NH)

I told you guys I would post a thread explaining the art of tumbling and preserving antique bottles. I recently tumbled a few and wanted to show you bottle buffs some photos of before and after pics of a few bottles I recently preserved.

It is a delicate process in order to get the best results, however, once you understand it, you can preserve a sick bottle and restore its value and collectability.

Often times when you excavate an antique bottle there is a haze, otherwise known as sickness that will not come off unless the specimen has been professionally cleaned, or polished. It can be the deciding factor between a bottle that is worth $5 or a $100.

Here are a few photos of 3 old bottles before I tumbled them; I will reply to this thread with photos of what they look like after 4 days of low speed tumbling...

-----BEFORE-----

Attachments

• before1.JPG
    before1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 4,103
  • before2.JPG
    before2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,939
Here they are after a low speed tumble using the correct oxide/copper...as you can see the scratches and "sickness" have been nearly eliminated.

Attachments

• after1.JPG
    after1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 3,949
  • after2.JPG
    after2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,839
Wow. Great results. I need to rig me up a tumbler now!

I dug those last year...I clean them up, sell them at flea-markets and use the money I make to supplement my treasure hunting addiction. Heck, they bought my XP Deus!:laughing: I hope you're doing well buddy!:yes:

My father has the bottle bug bad and literally has over 10000 bottles in his collection and was looking how to build a tumbler for all the valuable ones with diseased glass. I'll have to help him build one. Be careful what you sell as some bottles could literally be worth a fortune and you wouldn't even know by looking at it.

My father has the bottle bug bad and literally has over 10000 bottles in his collection and was looking how to build a tumbler for all the valuable ones with diseased glass. I'll have to help him build one. Be careful what you sell as some bottles could literally be worth a fortune and you wouldn't even know by looking at it.

Yeah, I know...I have been digging bottles for 20+ years; I have a pretty good idea what's worth something and whats flea-market material. LOL.

Regarding the bottle tumbler: you can build one, however, I highly suggest calling the Jar Doctor, he has been building them for decades.

I did not know you could do that . I have gotten rid of a few nice old bottles just because they were so hazed up so bad . I'd like to see a pic of your tumbler that will hold a bottle . I'm interested in knowing more on how you do this if you dont mind .

I did not know you could do that . I have gotten rid of a few nice old bottles just because they were so hazed up so bad . I'd like to see a pic of your tumbler that will hold a bottle . I'm interested in knowing more on how you do this if you dont mind .

Here is a photo of my tumbler; I am planning on doing a video soon regarding exactly how you tumble a bottle.
attachment.php

Ok , so you're just tumbling the inside . Let me know when that video is ready . Thank you .

No, I tumble the inside and outside of the bottles. If you do a Google search on tumbling bottles you will find all the information you need on the topic. I will post a few more pics for you this afternoon when I get home from work that better explain how I do this.

Yeah, I know...I have been digging bottles for 20+ years; I have a pretty good idea what's worth something and whats flea-market material. LOL.

Regarding the bottle tumbler: you can build one, however, I highly suggest calling the Jar Doctor, he has been building them for decades.
Lol. I always told my father bottle diggers = broken gas lines. Anyways, where do you buy that copper shot and other abrasive material?

Lol. I always told my father bottle diggers = broken gas lines. Anyways, where do you buy that copper shot and other abrasive material?

I cut my own copper bits by using 10, 12, or 14 gauge solid copper wire and a drill press.

Wow, what a difference! I've read a bit about tumbling them but haven't seen much lately. Great setup!

Thank you, I really love taking these sick bottles and returning them back to displayable status; Finding them is only half the battle.

I had heard about cutting your own solid copper wire,what other abrasive are you using? Do you have a picture of your cylinders with end caps and your centering thingy?

That's super cool! I've never heard of that, looks like it works very well. Can you get that same kind of results with the rectangular or square shaped bottles?

Here is a photo of the canister with the stopples. You have a base stopple and a bottle (cone) stopple. You can tumble bottles of almost all shapes and sizes. I tumble my bottles at 20rpm's whether they are square or round. There are different oxides you can use to get different results.

Here is the canister and stopple that hold the bottle in place while on the machine.
Six-Inch_Canister.jpg

Here is a photo of the tumbling media (AKA cut copper)
TumblingCopper.JPG

Back
Top Bottom