Other "Hobbies"

Biodiesel

I make biodiesel fuel from used veg. oil for my 81 Mercedes and 93 F250.

This is my Homebrew shop.

shop2.jpg

As a Silversmith and being raised on a farm, I love to make things with my hands. I used to make full sized knives, but I don't have the equipment any more, so now I make miniatures.Here are a few that I have made. I make them out of old circular saw blades. One of my many hobbies.
K2.gif K3.gif
K5.gif K6.gif
K8.gif

I like the knifves. Are they hard to make or grind down?
I use separating disks and sanding disks in my Dremel. They are to small for a larger grinder. The metal is to hard to drill holes in, so I have to glue the handles on. The hardest part is trying to get the scratches out and get a good finish on the blades. Some take a couple days to complete.

What are some of the other hobbies you have other than metal detecting? Myself I like woodworking. I've been making small items in my shop for years now and love working with my hands. I make wooden pens and wooden bowls and other small items. Here is a picture of some of my pens.

WoW those are really nice !!

Baneworth, what are that specs on that? Pretty nice setup looks like. I'm running:

MSI CF 790X mobo (dual PCI-E slots)
Phenom II 940 quad core @ 3.1Ghz
6GB DDR2
Radeon 5870 1GB
2TB HDD space
Blu-ray drive + DVD burner
40" inch 1080p LCD tv
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround (10 inch woofer) woot

I used to collect and fix Pinball Machines. Its was more fun fixing them then playing them.
I eventually sold some and kept my favorites. Eight Ball Deluxe, JetSpin, 3D and Gorgar. Two are digital and two are mechanical using solinoid logic. Oldest is a 3D, 50's oakrail that accepts nickels. Saving that one to fix when for when I retire. Gorgar is my username here. It was first speaking machine from Williams. Had a speech of about 8 words.

Very nice! that is my winter project i gave myself - learning how to turn. been doing lots of reading.

As for me watercolor painting continues to captivate my mind.....

This is a few more items I piddle with in my spare time.
Donny

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Woodworking pictures 006.jpg
    Woodworking pictures 006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Woodworking pictures 012.jpg
    Woodworking pictures 012.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 108
I like music, playing old blues on the geetar, photography, shaving with old razors (!), drinking red wine, travel, hiking, smoking a pipe every once in a while.....and of course finding buried treasure. :D

Another of my hobbies is collecting and playing unique guitars. I just bought the blue one which is a Fender Squier HM(heavy metal) from 1989. Few were made and few survive, and it kicks butt. Also the rose/pearl old is a Ibanez SB70 made only one year, 1982, and isn't in the books because it was a Frankenstein made from leftover Ibanez Studio bodies and Ibanez Blazer necks. Hence the name SB. Very few made and very rare to find one in original condition as most got modified. Then a 1958 Harmony Stella acoustic I got at a garage sale.

The black electric is a Sears Silvertone Strat copy and a Takamine Jasmine acoustic. Not so much collectible as personal. The Silvertone was given to me by my son years ago and I use the Jasmine to record.

myaxes.jpg

A ton of varied hobbies on here!

Recently (2yrs ago) started playing guitar again and have been fully engrossed with country blues...

I accidentally fell into bottle digging......inlaws farm that is now our hunting "camp". Back in the day people up here used to just toss their garbage, old appliances, old vehicles etc...into the woods...Sometimes they'd dig a hole and bury it, sometimes not. There are old pickup trucks, old stoves, old cast iron/enamel stoves and mother in law told me "if there's one bottle out there, there are thousands". i believe her.

was up there this weekend for opening deer weekend and I took my 2 nephews out to MD for a bit and we found one of the "newer" dumps...a ton of the shorty bottles....we ended up getting about 2 feet down and piled 300-400 of them on the ground....some old soda bottles, med bottles, bitters etc...

the farm is from the late 1800's and I just found out this past weekend where the 2 "old" outhouses were located and where the 2 original dumps are...they're huge....

I also buy/sell on ebay...started out just unloading some stuff for a friend who had a full storage unit....moved to a friend who owns 400 storage units and emptying delinquent inventory for him and progressed to me having about 35 bags of "stuff" in the basement I've acquired and am now selling....

Also woodworking (mostly whittling), working out (no more heavy lifting though...spinal stenosis etc..etc..), I used to do some freelance writing for workout journals/websites...

I've played WoW(world of warcraft) since beta.

I love to cook.

I collect books and read approx. 4hrs per day...everything from the beats to stephen king.

What are some of the other hobbies you have other than metal detecting? Myself I like woodworking. I've been making small items in my shop for years now and love working with my hands. I make wooden pens and wooden bowls and other small items. Here is a picture of some of my pens.

Those are fantastic pens!!! You are a true artist!!!:yes:

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom