Got took big time ($$$)

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
My Wife has been selling jewelry items for a another person on eBay. He doesn't have time to do the eBay thing and it helps us out, he gives my Wife 20% whatever the items sells for. It has worked out well until today- I have told my Wife over and over not to sell out of the country.... well she listed a bracelet and it sold for $1,200.00 a guy from Australia payed for it through PayPal and he gave her an address to ship it to in Indonesia. Today she logged into PayPal and her account has been froze, it was a scam. I don't know whats going to happen, PayPal told her to go to the post office to fill out some kind of paperwork, I don't know the details but I know it has my Wife & I almost sick, it would be very very hard for us to make up $200.00 let alone $1,200.00 We never had a problem before with eBay or PayPal but this makes up for it big time. Steve.

My Wife has been selling jewelry items for a another person on eBay. He doesn't have time to do the eBay thing and it helps us out, he gives my Wife 20% whatever the items sells for. It has worked out well until today- I have told my Wife over and over not to sell out of the country.... well she listed a bracelet and it sold for $1,200.00 a guy from Australia payed for it through PayPal and he gave her an address to ship it to in Indonesia. Today she logged into PayPal and her account has been froze, it was a scam. I don't know whats going to happen, PayPal told her to go to the post office to fill out some kind of paperwork, I don't know the details but I know it has my Wife & I almost sick, it would be very very hard for us to make up $200.00 let alone $1,200.00 We never had a problem before with eBay or PayPal but this makes up for it big time. Steve.

You always risk it with out of country. The ONE item I ever sold out of country was a PAL PS2 back in 2004 to a guy in the UK. Thing was in perfect working order, clean, basically new. Upon arrival he said it didn't work and came filthy etc etc... never asked for his money back, and I had pics of the item as I boxed it up. But still, he tried to get me. :(

Maybe she should call PayPal and talk to them? Or did she already? They have helped us out before.

Sounds like it's a safety measure for money laundering.

Sorry to hear about that.. The way e-bay is ran now everything is in the buyers favor..I sold a camera lens for over 300. & it went to another country, they said it was broken & they filed a claim, then paypal froze the money in my account..What did this idiot in is he listed the lens I sold him for sale using his same e-bay account & I caught it not e-bay..:roll:

Indonesia has been on the warning list for years. I would need two forms of ID to take CASH from an eBay buyer there. I thought that PayPal published a list of countries that had high fraud rates, so you might want to look for it.

Good luck. It would be great if the Post Office would keep the address in a fraud database and stop all shipments from leaving the country going to that address.

-- Tom

I did the ebay thing for years and finally quit ALL non-US address sales. About 70% of all items that I shipped out of the country "didn't arrive". I got tired of losing money. If I had an item that someone out of the country kept saying that they REALLY wanted, I told them to send me an email (through ebay) stating that they were willing to pay full insurance and they were willing to do a signature pick-up at their cost. I never had any takers.

I would call PayPal ASAP and contact your postmaster ASAP as they might be able to track the package's customs # and stop the shippment.

Good luck and keep us posted please.
Doug

Last edited:
Maybe she should call PayPal and talk to them? Or did she already? They have helped us out before.

Sounds like it's a safety measure for money laundering.
She already has. My Wife said that the item is in Indonesia but no one has claimed it yet.

Nasty... I would never do business outside of the country. There are enough con artists here as it is. Outside the U.S. is rife with crooks. Hope you get your money.... RickO

A Chase Credit card service lady called me last year at my previous home in Florida. She asked me if I purchased a $300.00 item at a small store in Romania about an hour ago...............uh. I was happy they notified me and of course they took it off my card. Only place I used that card for over a month was a little gas station to purchase gas. I should have reported it but realized it would have taken a huge investigation on him etc. etc.

I regret not reporting it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom