Geocaching

Fiskamon

Elite Member
Does anyone here participate in this activity? I heard the term used and I just read up on it. Seems like a neet activity.

I've been a geocacher for years. Haven't done much lately, but I've been pretty busy.

It's a lot of fun, and can lead you to some great public spots if you are traveling, and maybe even new spots in your own town.

One of my favorite hobbies

Does anyone here participate in this activity? I heard the term used and I just read up on it. Seems like a neet activity.

Started out letterboxing back in the 80s. The Internet made widespread Geocaching possible, and I have been active, on and off since about 2002.

Been a couple of years, but I used to be more active. I highly recommend it as a sport in which your children can participate. Neat Scouting activity too. (Find treasure, and pack out trash).

Check out

www.geocaching.com

these are caches near me currently. I guess I need to get busy :shock:

http://tinyurl.com/yb23stb

Started Geocaching last November. Always take the MD along because I have found a few new spot to detect. The two hobbies work well together.

I have a GPS unit on my Garmin PDA. I have been meaning to check out some of the Geocashing sites, but I always find myself going detecting instead. I guess this would be a good time to try it until the weather clears up for detecting. Like a lot of you in metal detecting, I'm a newby at Geocashing.
Garmin.gif

I have been doing caching for a little while, and I have had a good time with it,my 3.5 year old daughter and I go when the weather is warm. The newer cheaper GPS's are good to start with. They have better receivers than the older one's. The older Garmin I had would loose the signal in the woods and make it hard/if possible to find the cache. so just make sure you go with a newer model that is in the lower price range to try it out..

It does sound fun, but how good of GPS do you need?
I use a low end TomTom and have been able to do OK. The TomTom is made for the roads so it will only get you as close as the road will. You need a compass to help get you the rest of the way to the cache.

I have read on other forums that occasionally and MD'r will find a geocache... most, when they realize what it is, rebury it. Seems like fun, just no time left for another hobby. RickO

I think Carol and Vald are getting into it.
It sounds interesting but I'm not up to dropping the $ on a hand-held GPS for a plastic troll doll.

If you don't to do it, that's fine. The cache hunt is about THE HUNT. It's not about getting a prize. Some caches are lame and poorly placed. Some caches devilishly camoflaged and in plain site but VERY hard to find. Some caches are placed in beautiful, secluded spots that you might never see if you weren't hunting that cache.

Caching can be a full-time hobby (much like detecting), or it can be an occasional activity. You can find caches in almost every single town in the country, and in countries around the world. I even geocached while deplyed in Iraq.

Since getting back into this hobby, coupled with all the reading I've been doing here, it seems that the hobby itself has grown and become even more interesting then it was when I first started. I don't know if that can be attributed to the better equipment, the internet or a combination of both.

The Geocaching sound like it is fun and interesting and something I would look to do whan I retire, possibly in the next 2 years, but for now I will have to stay with just MDing. I still have a full time job that demands a lot of my time and attention.

I bought a Garman eTrex Legend about six or seven years ago, just because I thought it would be a neat toy. Found out about geocaching after I bought it, and took up the hobby. As a previous poster said, some of the caches are kind of lame, but many are really quite cool - well hidden, well camouflaged and insanely difficult to find. The "treasures" are usually little trinkets not worth anything, but the goal is to find the cache and sign the log, not to find a "treasure". Also, if you take something you leave something. Also, you don't bury the cache. No digging.

Also, you need to hide some caches of your own. It is cool to hear positive comments about how much people enjoyed the search for one of your hides.

Geocaching gets you outside, and I found many great places I never knew were there, in an area I've lived in for forty years. It's a lot of fun, even though I haven't done it for quite some time.

Geocaching The World

Been Geocaching for a decade or more. It is a blast. I travel a lot in my profession and we geocache almost every time we are in a place where the weather and time permits. Have experienced beautiful areas in over 20 states. Even found one hanging from a tree with fishing line in central Illinois. (Springfield). Almost got lost in Lake Tahoe one time. We froze in NH and cooked in AZ. It is much like finding "the good stuff" when metal detecting. The hobbies are very much compatable and the trail to the geocaches often provide opportunity for a "swish" or two. Found one behind a waterfall once and one in a tree in a park in downtown Phoenix. As mentioned, the fun is in the hunt, not the trinkets. I always carry extra batteries to exchange in the geocaches. It is amazing how handy and welcome new batteries are when you are low and needing to return to the vehicle before dark. It is a great amout of fun. It is also fun to sit next to a window on an airplane, catch the satellites and see you are traveling at over 450 mph with the towns and cities marked as you fly over. Some airlines won't let you use them but that is rare. Usually United (UAL) but we all know "United Breaks Gutars" (search YouTube for reference) or follow this link.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Good luck, stay safe and try Geocaching. It's a blast.

Kevin J. Doyle &
Gunner Girl The Wonder Lab ;)

While visiting family in GA back in 2005 I was introduced to this. I bought a neat Garmin etrex and have done some - but not for years now. I live in the Los Angeles area and there are more targets here in a few blocks than in the county back in S GA.

Back
Top Bottom